Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Thomas Fuller, of the Gordon Highlanders, takes a sea cruise 1 week 5 days ago #78484

• BereniceUK
  • BereniceUK's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1494
....SOLDIER'S FREE TRIP.—The last Australian mail brings news of a real absent-minded beggar, a corporal in the Gordon Highlanders (Thomas Fuller by name), who was inadvertently brought on to Melbourne. It seems he was in hospital with the invalided Australians, and, in his own words, "We became such good pals that I wanted to see the last of them." So he went on board the troopship Batavian at Cape Town, and, to quote his own candid confession, "got a skinful of champagne and port away." The result was that when he woke up the Batavian was 400 miles out at sea, and he had no alternative but to cross the ocean to Australia. Whatever his own regimental authorities may say when he rejoins, so far he has not suffered in any way by the misadventure. The Melbourne military authorities have given him a free passage back to South Africa on another of their troopships, the Warrigal.
The Keighley News, Saturday 7th July 1900
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moranthorse1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Thomas Fuller, of the Gordon Highlanders, takes a sea cruise 1 week 5 days ago #78486

• Dave F
  • Thank you received: 303

I wonder if he did return to S.A?
Medal roll dated 23rd August 1901 Pretoria.
You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.
Best regards
Dave
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: BereniceUK

Thomas Fuller, of the Gordon Highlanders, takes a sea cruise 1 week 5 days ago #78488

• BereniceUK
  • BereniceUK's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1494
No mention of him in the Australian papers. I wonder if he wrote home to someone in the UK, rather than gave an interview in Australia.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.452 seconds