Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Private Crute's death, and a sewing machine 2 years 10 months ago #76578

• BereniceUK
  • BereniceUK's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2294
Jim Crute, of the Coldstream Guards, was initially reported to have been made prisoner at Magersfontein, but his death was later officially announced.

LOCAL SOLDIER AMONG THE MISSING.

....Private James Crute, of Southwick, son of Mr John Crute, foreman engineer at Messrs R. Thompson's shipyard, and nephew of Mr James U. Crute, the author of the cantata "Prodigal Son," which he composed and printed himself, isamong the missing at Magersfontein. He is in the 1st Battalion of the Coldstream Guards. Whether he has been captured and sent to Pretoria is not yet known.
Sunderland Daily Echo, Saturday 16th December 1899

....A letter has been received from Private W. Ingledew, dated Dec. 15th, and addressed to Mrs Crute, 20, High Southwick. He says:—l am very sorry to tell you that Jim (her husband, who is in the Coldstream Guards) is a prisoner in the Boer camp. We had a fearful battle on Dec. 11th (Magersfontein). We were cut off from the others and were without water 24 hours. Jim was water-carrier, and went down to the river and was caught by the enemy. He will be all right till the war is over.
W. Ingledew, the Coldstream Guards. ......
Sunderland Daily Echo, Tuesday 9th January 1900

Missing Men Dead.
....The War Office this afternoon received the following communication from the General of Communications at the Cape:—
CAPETOWN, Sunday. ......
....Identity tickets and information received from Pretoria show that the following, reported missing at Magersfontein on the 11th December, were found killed, and buried on thefieldby the enemy:—
....1st Coldstream Guards.—Privates J. Reid, J. Crute, and W. Johnson.
Sunderland Daily Echo, Tuesday 23rd January 1900

DEATHS.
CRUTE.—Killed at Magersfontein,on Dec. 11th, 1899, aged 26 years, James,beloved husband of Florence Crute, and second and dearly-loved son of John and Mary Ann Crute, of Southwick. Loved in life, in death lamented.
Sunderland Daily Echo, Thursday 25th January 1900

DEATH OF A SOUTHWICK MAN IN BATTLE.

MEMORIAL SERVICE.
....Yesterday afternoon an impressive service was held at St. Columba's Church, Southwick, in memory of Private James Crute, who was killed at the battle of Magersfontein. He was a native of Southwick, where his parents now reside, being regular attenders at St. Columba's Church. The clergy and choir were in full attendance. After the burial service had been read, the Vicar (the Rev. W. T. Jupp) preached a short sermon from the text, "Without shedding of blood there is no remission of sins." He said these words were used in a deep theological sense, but how true they were in more senses than one. In international politics it was so especially. Prophets and teachers invited men to give up their best, and they gave it to much purpose, but when, in spite of these, the stream ran rank and foul, through sin and corruption, on one side or other, or on both, then there came a time when there was "no remission without shedding of blood." What a contrast between the service in the town [for the local Volunteers who were leaving Sunderland for the front] and the service up there that afternoon. Yet there were men prepared to do what their departed brother had done. He had given his life for England and England's empire. His thought had been, "Come what may, whether I live or whether I die, duty is the first thing." Therefore they honoured the bright, brave soldier whose body lay in the lonely veldt, and whose spirit was with God, and they prayed God to pardon his sins, to comfort all who loved him, to accept his sacrifice, and, for the sake of the blood once shed for the remission of sins, to receive him into Paradise. The hymns sung were those from A. and M., commencing "My God, My Father," "Peace, Perfect Peace," and "Abide With Me." At the close of the service, while Miss Moore (organist) played the Dead March in "Saul," it was touching to behold many of the congregation shedding tears of sympathy with the grief of the bereaved family.
Sunderland Daily Echo, Monday 29th January 1900

....The Private J. Crute, 1st Coldstream Guards, who was reported killed, and is now, happily, alive, though a prisoner, is the Southwick man who was reported missing after the battle of Magersfontein, and was supposed to be a prisoner with the Boers. He took part in the battles of Belmont and Graspan at the Modder River, and a letter from him after the last battle appeared in our columns. A funeral service was held at St. Columba's last Sunday.
Sunderland Daily Echo, Monday 5th February 1900

A RECOGNITION OF HONESTY.
....The Singer Manufacturing Co. have just presented Mrs Florence Crute, 20, the Green, Southwick with one of their sewing-machines. It will be remembered that Mrs Crute's husband was reported killed in South Africa, and a grant was made to her from the Reservists Fund. Later information showed that Crute was not killed, but was a prisoner at Pretoria. Mrs Crute accordingly returned the grant which had been made to her, and the company have given her the sewing-machine as a mark of their appreciation of her honesty in doing so. The machine has been forwarded from the local branch by Mr Pend and Mr Anson. The company have presented several machines in different parts of the country under similar circumstances.
Sunderland Daily Echo, Tuesday 27th February 1900

I haven't yet been able to find any similar reported examples of a sewing machine as a reward for honesty, but Singer did support local and national Reservist funds.

The Singer Company have shown practical sympathy with sufferers by the present war in setting aside one shilling from each machine sold or hired during March for the "Daily Telegraph" Shilling Fund. Between the 1st and the 10th inst. this realised £103 11s. 6d. in cash, and a sum of equivalent value, representing the price of thirteen machines to be allotted to thirteen necessitous widows. The amount realised for this fund during the second week of March was £151 19s.
Hastings and St Leonards Observer, Friday 31st March 1900

LETTER FROM PRIVATE CRUTE.
....A letter has been received in Southwick from Private James Crute, who is a prisoner in Pretoria, and who was mistakenly reported killed at Magersfontein. He says:—Just a line to let you know l am still in the land of the living. I have been a prisoner since the 12th of December. I am glad to say l am in good health. I have not had a letter since the one you wrote on the 5th of November. I may get what others you have sent, but I don't know. So it is hardly worth while you writing after you get this. I hope this will find you all well. I will write again when I get a chance. This has to be left open for some one to read. We have been well treated here, so I will cut it short and finish. Written on January 3rd, 1900.
Sunderland Daily Echo, Wednesday 7th March 1900

Return of Private Crute.
....Private James Crute, of the 1st Battalion Coldstream Guards, is expected to arrive at Monkwearmouth Station to-morrow night. It will be remembered that Crute, who went out to South Africa two years and nine months ago under Lord Methuen, was reported killed at Magersfontein, and who was subsequently found to have been taken prisoner, anda memorial service was held in his Parish Church, at Southwick.
Sunderland Daily Echo, Tuesday 22nd July 1902

James Shute was born at Southwick, 29th November 1873, and died on the 10th December 1956.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moranthorse1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.385 seconds