Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Re: Victorian stereoscope 11 years 5 months ago #6733

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Good evening David,
As a collector of both Great War and WW2 flying it is the RE Balloon Section that interests me here, they look like giant onions and each had its own name! :)
Regards Frank

djb wrote: 19 British troops enters into Colesberg after Boers retreat 31 Des 1899
20 Maj Remington and his scouts
21 Lord Roberts army advancing toward Johannesburg 84th Battery and Balloons Corps SA
22 West of Boer entrenchments on Krantz Kloof to Spion Kop showing connecting Boer trench across
23 New Zealand Mounted Rifles 15 Jan 1900 after repulsing Boer attack at bayonets point Rensburg
24 Taking the heavy Naval gun across Vet River Lord Roberts advance to Pretoria by Double oxen spans

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Victorian stereoscope 11 years 5 months ago #6752

• coldstream
  • coldstream's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 214
David,
Thanks for posting these, really enjoyed them.

Paul :)
"From a billow of the rolling veldt we looked back, and black columns were coming up behind us."

Re: Victorian stereoscope 11 years 5 months ago #6758

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4519
Paul,

I thought you might be pleased. I was looking to avoid duplicating any of the pictures you had already uploaded but, in the end, I don't think I excluded one image on this basis which I thought strange. We will have to see if we can complete the set at some point.

Kind regards
David
Dr David Biggins

Re: Victorian stereoscope 11 years 5 months ago #6813

• iaindh
  • Thank you received: 35
Hi Paul, David,

many thanks for sharing these pictures, I've really enjoyed looking at them, a little time capsule.

regards, Iain

Re: Victorian stereoscope 8 years 3 months ago #44715

• mikehm
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 2
Fascinating to see the one entitled "The Gloucesters charging a Kopje and facing death near Norval's Pont, South Africa". It appears to have been taken a couple of seconds after the one entitled "The WORCESTERS charging a Kopje and facing death near Norval's Pont, South Africa"- the view and the men are the same, only the poses are slightly different!

I am in the process of compiling a complete list of the Underwood and Underwood stereoview images of the Boer War, and, thanks to the list above, have now identified a total of 232 from the "two sets of 72" that one sees mentioned! No doubt there are still many more to be found.
ATB
Mike

Re: Victorian stereoscope 8 years 3 months ago #44739

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
That does not really surprise me, I think at one point these proved so very popular that something like twenty thousand could be printed in a single day, yet, these days, they still seem to be very much sought after items.

mikehm wrote: Fascinating to see the one entitled "The Gloucesters charging a Kopje and facing death near Norval's Pont, South Africa". It appears to have been taken a couple of seconds after the one entitled "The WORCESTERS charging a Kopje and facing death near Norval's Pont, South Africa"- the view and the men are the same, only the poses are slightly different!

I am in the process of compiling a complete list of the Underwood and Underwood stereoview images of the Boer War, and, thanks to the list above, have now identified a total of 232 from the "two sets of 72" that one sees mentioned! No doubt there are still many more to be found.

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 1.238 seconds