Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Who was Zelanot? 3 years 1 month ago #75344

• BereniceUK
  • BereniceUK's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2300
"Through the efforts of Sir Carne Rasch, a man named Zelanot, in the employ of Mr. Edgar Baxter, of Hutton, has received his medal and bar for service in the South African war."
Essex County Chronicle, Friday 29th April 1904

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Who was Zelanot? 3 years 1 month ago #75347

• Dave F
  • Thank you received: 1175
Hi Berenice

Drawn a blank with the name Zelanot? However, Sir Carne Rasch was in the 6th Dragoon Guards, also he was a Captain and Honorary Major with the 4th Battalion the Essex Regiment. He served as an MP for Essex SE and then Chelmsford. So it is possible that Zelanot!! was in the Essex regiment (I know, its a long shot). As for Edgar Baxter who lived at Hutton Park,. Earlier Hutton Park. It was once a Tudor farmhouse and became known as Bachelors’ Hall at the end of the 18th century when the sons of Abraham Offin had a rich empire there. Farmers, maltsters, timber merchants, saddlers and members of the family lived in various surrounding houses and built a number of cottages. Some, as in Rayleigh Road opposite, gone, and some in the Village Street still extant. The Baxter's modernised in the Victorian style, putting in ‘Italian’ gardens, the lodges and the stables (now a modern house). So Mr Zelanot could have worked at this location as per the news report. Edgar and his father George were farmers, merchants and land owners so it is very likely that the medal recipient did work for the Baxter's. All we need is a few more clues to the illusive Mr Zelanot. I have tried different configurations of the name but no luck at present. Perhaps it could be an alias or a nickname. No origin found regarding Zelanot as a surname or first name.
You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.
Best regards,
Dave

Who was Zelanot? 3 years 1 month ago #75351

• BereniceUK
  • BereniceUK's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2300
I can find the surname Zelano (of Italian origin) online, but not Zelanot. I'd agree about the Essex Regiment being a possibility, perhaps he was an officer's servant?

Who was Zelanot? 3 years 1 month ago #75361

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1537
Berenice
If he was an Officer's servant (unattested, and it does not seem that he was a soldier), your Zelanot would have received a Bronze QSA without clasp. He is not on the list of such recipients elsewhere on this site.
As he appears to have been awarded a "Medal and bar" , he must have been awarded them for some other official service.
Regards
IL.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.507 seconds