Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Just a Little Rant..... 3 years 1 month ago #74672

• QSAMIKE
  • QSAMIKE's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1873
Good Day Everyone......

I have a bit of a beef that I would like to bring up if it is OK with all of you......

When I was buying the Jewelers Case as shown in a previous post I also in the same antique store picked up a couple of pieces of china for my daughter..... When I way paying for them the clerk was wrapping them up in some pages torn out of old newspapers and she had some bound magazines, namely Life Magazine from the 1940's and 50's that were being used to wrap items.....

The thing that gets me upset is seeing in our favorite on-line auction site is selling single pages from several different magazines that have been either cut out or torn out of these magazine, i.e. Graphic, London Illustrated News, Army-Navy Magazine and others..... True what they are selling is the photos but they can be obtained in other ways.....

A number of years ago I was again in an antique store and the wrapping materiel was the Graphic magazine..... They had a portion left of December 1899 and in the pile bound and untouched was January to June 1900 and July to December 1900...... They also had a number of 1900 / 1901 Times Newspapers..... I asked her what she wanted to sell them for and I picked them up quite inexpensively.....

The pages being sold are sold for idiotic prices, one today was selling for way more than I paid for all of the Graphic year 1900..... Why not sell a full magazine that way the buyer can see the articles on that date and you might get a better price than you are looking for just the one page.....

After keeping track of nearly 250 pages that were up for sale I have found that approximately 90 % are not sold, so what happens to them...... Some are also from books which to me is even worse, some of our members have published books, how would you feel if the illustrations were torn / cut out and sold separately.....

Sorry to bother your morning coffee but something I just had to get off my chest....

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Just a Little Rant..... 3 years 1 month ago #74675

• Moranthorse1
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 742
With you all the way with this Mike!
How much of our collective history has been thrown away by folk who only look at the short term gain?
This stuff ain't going to be made again.... So look after it!
The following user(s) said Thank You: QSAMIKE

Just a Little Rant..... 3 years 1 month ago #74676

• BereniceUK
  • Thank you received: 2294
If they're not savvy enough to know what will sell and what won't, they won't stay in business long. I think it's mostly ignorance - antique books can often be priced online, but is there anywhere to get old magazines priced?

QSAMIKE wrote: our favorite on-line auction site

Ah, you mean Todo Coleccion? en.todocoleccion.net/metal-old-boxes/coc...-refresco~x192846115
The following user(s) said Thank You: QSAMIKE

Just a Little Rant..... 3 years 1 month ago #74678

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1527
Interested members
I have often seen those pages advertised on *bay and wondered similarly. The only thing I could think they would be useful for was school projects - but then the images could be downloaded.
Anyway, the very worst example of document destruction I ever saw was in the early 1980's and related to papers from a campaign just a Century before the Boer War. In those free and easy days, we here in Sydney had a Firearms Dealer who scoured the globe looking for obsolete/near obsolete stock for retailing. He had an "in" with a big Wholesaler in the US. Anyway, our Mr. X did a winning bid on obsolete items from Portugal. I saw the many cases in his warehouse. Did not see them opened but later saw what was extensively used for packing around the rifles. The "packing" was paper in the form of letters, (apparent) circulars, newspapers, etc and all roughly dated in the early 1800's. The papers were not like modern paper; they were like "rag" paper/parchment and also rather stiff stock like cartridge paper. Some were whole and others were in bundles which had been torn in half to fit. I recognised some of the words - but the real surprise was that a couple of the papers mentioned General Craufurd of the Light Division. For those who may not have heard of General Craufurd, he was a luminary of the British army in the (Napoleonic) Peninsula War in Portugal.
I knew the manager very well and I told him of what the mass of papers appeared to be and "how they must be of interest to SOMEBODY". He said he would keep them aside for me to look at. A week later, when I went back to do some sorting, the papers entire had been put in the garbage. Who knows what (translatable) historic gems were lost to scholars of the Peninsula War!
I know the story does not relate to the Boer War - but is an illustration of the attitude to vintage paperwork not so long ago.
Regards
IL.
The following user(s) said Thank You: QSAMIKE, Moranthorse1

Just a Little Rant..... 3 years 1 month ago #74685

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 716
It is not only dealers who are great destroyers. While still at school, I knew of a father who had commanded a Natal regiment in World War II, for which he was awarded a DSO. Before settling in South Africa, he had been an officer in the Indian Army. At a 50th anniversary gathering at the school, I met the Colonel's daughter and asked about her father's medals, photos and papers. She told me that all the papers etc had been destroyed after he died, but she thought her brother might have the medals.
Perhaps it matters less now since his life and contributions to South Africa have become irrelevant in our new democracy.

Regards
Brett
The following user(s) said Thank You: QSAMIKE, Moranthorse1

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.844 seconds