Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

George Roberts, King's Royal Rifle Corps 3 years 4 months ago #73118

• BereniceUK
  • BereniceUK's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2300
Just one of the many men who came back to Britain after active, and were unable to find work, as similarly happened after the Great War.

RESERVIST'S SAD PLIGHT.

....A sad story was told to the Southampton borough magistrates yesterday, when a man named George Roberts, of no fixed abode, was charged with travelling on the London and South-Western Railway without having paid his fare. The prisoner, who was a young man of respectable appearance and evidently of good education, pleaded guilty, and told a pitiable story. He said that the Government was solely to blame for his present position. Prior to the war he was engaged as an assistant in a preparatory school near London, but when hostilities broke out he was called up as a reservist to join the King's Royal Rifles, with whom he served in South Africa. Returning to England, he had been unable to get work of any kind.
...."What is a man to do?" he said. "I did this in preference to begging, as I regard begging as a degradation after eleven years' service in the army." Asked why he came to Southampton, he replied that things were awful in London, and he came south hoping that at any rate he would have the consolation of finding it warmer in pursuing his search of work.
....The Bench discharged him, and remitted the costs.
Nottingham Evening Post, Friday 16th January 1903
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb, QSAMIKE

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

George Roberts, King's Royal Rifle Corps 3 years 4 months ago #73120

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4508
A sad tale but with a charitable ruling.
Dr David Biggins

George Roberts, King's Royal Rifle Corps 3 years 4 months ago #73142

• BereniceUK
  • BereniceUK's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2300
I find it sad that probably the only time he'll ever come to our notice is because he appeared in court. We'll never know what became of him in the rest of his life.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.596 seconds