• Page:

TOPIC:

The Boer War in comparison to other conflicts 3 years 8 months ago #71155

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4517
The accounts of the Boer War often emphasise how it was a much bigger conflict than Britain had seen in its past. Of course, it was itself to be dwarfed only a few years later by the Great War.

Peter Chasseaud's First World War, p139, notes this comparison regarding Neuve Chapelle:

A brief 35 minute 'hurricane bombardment' by 342 guns and howitzers heralded an attack by the infantry of four divisions - about 40,000 men - on a 2 mile front. An indication of the mechanisation and intensity of the war, even at this stage [1915], is that more shells were fired in this brief bombardment than in the whole Boer War.
Dr David Biggins

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

The Boer War in comparison to other conflicts 3 years 8 months ago #71157

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
I think that simply from a military perspective, the Anglo Boer War was a very steep learning curve for both the War Office and the Government and I should imagine both were left staggered by what it had actually cost, particularly, in financial terms.

djb wrote: The accounts of the Boer War often emphasise how it was a much bigger conflict than Britain had seen in its past. Of course, it was itself to be dwarfed only a few years later by the Great War.

Peter Chasseaud's First World War, p139, notes this comparison regarding Neuve Chapelle:

A brief 35 minute 'hurricane bombardment' by 342 guns and howitzers heralded an attack by the infantry of four divisions - about 40,000 men - on a 2 mile front. An indication of the mechanisation and intensity of the war, even at this stage [1915], is that more shells were fired in this brief bombardment than in the whole Boer War.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.805 seconds