Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Sergeant Bennett's watch 3 years 7 months ago #70932

• BereniceUK
  • BereniceUK's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2294
…."Sergeant Bennett, of the 16th Lancers, now in camp at Landguard, near Harwich, when taking part in the relief of Kimberley with General French's column, had his watch stolen. He reported his loss to Sergeant J. Henderson, of the Cape Mounted Police, who recovered the watch a few days afterwards. Bennett had then gone on to Paardeberg, and Henderson, hearing nothing of or from him, concluded that he had been shot. Henderson, who is now proprietor of the cigar box on the parade at Felixstowe, inquiring a day or two ago of one of the non-commissioned officers of the 16th if anything was known as to the whereabouts of Sergeant Bennett, was informed that he was in camp. Henderson sent for him, and to Bennett's surprise reminded of the circumstance, and returned the watch."

Evening Express, 6th July 1910

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Sergeant Bennett's watch 3 years 7 months ago #71191

• BerkshireT
  • Thank you received: 9
Hi Berenice, So the watch was lost in South Africa and returned some 8 years after it went missing in Britain? That would be a super relief for the owner who would certainly of given up many years before of ever recovering it. I can imagine the stress of continually looking for the time only to remember you no longer had your watch. I expect he looked out for it on others which is horrid to have to look suspecting another had taken it.
All those times you wake up not knowing weather its worth having another 30 minutes sleep or time to go and dig a hole and start a quick brew before your next on duty... He likely lost many hours sleep as a result of not having his watch and its loss would be like loosing 'awareness'? I hate going out without my watch as it unbalances me for the day...
Thanks for posting

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.314 seconds