• Page:

TOPIC:

Some advice please. 4 years 4 months ago #67360

• Scooby-Doo
  • Scooby-Doo's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 5
I've recently decided to start collecting medals again and after having a good look at this most informative forum it's going to be QSAs and groups with QSA. I've looked at DNW's forthcoming auction , Medalsofengland , ebay and a few other sites and it appears that prices vary tremendously depending on condition and who the medal was awarded to. Unfortunately it appears that you need your wits about you when deciding what to buy , from "extra" clasps to very thin rims on the lower half of a medal. Question is - am I safer buying from a company like DNW and any other pointers as to the pitfalls of buying from other sources.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Some advice please. 4 years 4 months ago #67363

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4519
Scooby-Doo,

Yes, you do need to have your wits about you when buying from some sources. Purchases from eBay need careful scrutiny especially if not much information or few pictures are provided by the seller. That said, eBay sellers will often include pictures of the naming which is not something dealers usually provide. I think if you buy from an established dealer or auction house, you should be fairly safe as they examine the medals closely when they catalogue them. I think all dealers and auction houses will offer a refund if the medal proves to be different than sold except where this is made clear at the time.
Dr David Biggins
The following user(s) said Thank You: Scooby-Doo

Some advice please. 4 years 4 months ago #67366

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1879
Good Morning Scooby-Doo...…

I agree with Dr. David 100%, you can never go wrong with a reputable dealer....... Yet saying that I have in 40 years of collecting QSA's had to return 2 medals to dealers with no problems and also had 1 returned to ebay and had no problems their either..... There was another that I obtained from ebay for quite a cheap price that had been made into a broach but the suspender and was still attached..... I was going to return it but the broach attachment was a ring around edge..... I debated with myself for a number of days till I finally decided to keep the medal and remove the pin..... Boy an I glad I did as the medal was named to a Chaplain attached to the Seaforth Highlanders..... So therefore you sometimes have to take a chance.......

Mike

P.S. Don't collect QSA's to Canadians, save them for me please..... LOL
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

Some advice please. 4 years 4 months ago #67373

• SWB
  • Thank you received: 452
Certainly do some homework on the units, battles you might be interested in collecting. Learn about the clasps and the qualifying criteria.

This will help you spot suspect and overpriced "rare" medals.
Researcher & Collector
The Register of the Anglo-Boer Wars 1899-1902
theangloboerwars.blogspot.co.uk/
www.facebook.com/boerwarregister

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.378 seconds