Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

120 year ABW Conference: Bloemfontein 9-11 October 2019 5 years 2 months ago #62531

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4517
Announcing the 120-year Commemoration of the Anglo-Boer (South African) War Conference

9-11 October 2019

War Museum of the Boer Republics
Bloemfontein, South Africa

Re-imaging the Anglo-Boer (South African) War: New perspectives 120 years down the line

This year marks the 120-year commemoration of the Anglo-Boer (South African) War. In recent years the study and interpretation of the war have created new insights of the complexities that this particular conflict had on the South African population. In accordance with the War Museum’s vision the conference will represent the inclusivity and suffering of all communities, thus also propagating the message that negotiation is preferable to war. Although the emphasis will inherently be on historical interpretations of the war the conference aims at including a multi-disciplinary approach. The 2019 conference wishes to assemble historians and other scholars researching the diverse dimensions of the Anglo-Boer (South African) War. Not only are established and emerging scholars encouraged to attend but also so-called amateur historians. As such participants and conference attendants do not necessarily have to be affiliated with a specific institution or organisation.
Dr David Biggins

This message has an attachment file.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

120 year ABW Conference: Bloemfontein 9-11 October 2019 5 years 2 months ago #62543

• FSburgher
  • Thank you received: 12
Hi David
Reading in a local Afrikaans language news paper MP Rees-Mogg being interviewed on the BBC condoned the policy of concentration camps for Boer women & children as being "safe havens".
Has he ever been to South Africa.? MP Jacob Rees-Mogg should not have broached the issue without having a very good grasp of the actual suffering that was experienced by both Black & White residents of the Boere Republics.
Perhhaps he should attend the October 2019 ABW conference in Bloemfontein to acquaint himself properly. The hurt and suffering of 120 years ago is still remembered by many families in South Africa.
I rest my case. regards to all Forum members. Free State Burgher

120 year ABW Conference: Bloemfontein 9-11 October 2019 5 years 2 months ago #62546

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4517
Indeed. He would do well to acquaint himself with the realities of history and of war. I would recommend the book, Suffering of War, as a very sobering read.
Dr David Biggins

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.748 seconds