Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Trying to discover whether this Kipling poem/parody is known to others. 6 years 2 months ago #57564

• terryd
  • terryd's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 2
This four-verse poem is a parody on Kipling's "The Absent-Minded Beggar" and the copy that we have 'unearthed' in the Bendigo Historical Society (Victoria, Australia) was probably brought back to this town by someone who participated in the Anglo-Boer War. The attachment (first verse) gives an idea of how interestingly this poem is written. The assumption that we make is that "Paul" is in reference to Paul Kruger.

This item is not for sale and so, while I have recently posted on the Ephemera section of the forum, this may not be the best placing for it, as viewers of that section might be largely scanning for collectable items (which this is not, in the sense of it being 'available').

I am posting this here in Miscellany in the hope that there may be viewers of this section who are not collectors but are people who may be able to throw some light on what we think is a most unusual poem written in 'mock-German' and having a bizarre story embedded within the poem.

If anyone has knowledge of a person or group with a particular interest and knowledge of the writing and verse of that time, it would be much appreciated to be put in touch with such an authority.

Please view my three related postings with the four explanatory attachments including my common-English 'translation' are in that Ephemera section.]
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.329 seconds