Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Noah Patrick Collins aka Noah Percy Collins, ILH & Marshall's Horse 6 years 5 months ago #55944

• BereniceUK
  • BereniceUK's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2294
If it hadn't been for his being found guilty of murder, and for subsequently being hanged, this photo of him in uniform would never have been printed in the newspapers of the time, and might well have been lost to us.

Collins was born in Cadoxton, near Barry, South Wales, in 1883 - his family was still living there in 1908, although his parents had both died when he was a child, and he was then taken to the Ely Schools (possibly an Industrial School in Cardiff). Aged 14, he began work as a collier at Mardy, and by four years later had worked at both Cwmdare and Aberdare pits.

He then sailed from Newport to Alexandria on a tramp, was paid off at Hull, returned to Cadoxton, and found a job as an engine-cleaner for Barry Railway Company. From there to Ferndale, then to Boston, USA, where he was employed as a saloon attendant. He quickly tired of that and went to South Africa, where, soon after he arrived, war broke out. There he worked on the railway at Kroonstad, then joined the Imperial Light Horse, followed by Marshall's Horse, and took part in some engagements. He received the South Africa Medal while in Cardiff Prison awaiting his trial, and was wearing it when the judge passed sentence of death. After the war ended he returned to America, where he visited Boston, New York and New Orleans, doubtless looking for employment. He next returned to Wales, to Pontypridd - date unknown, perhaps 1906? Sometime around mid-1907 (approximately) he began work as a collier in the Abertridwr area (near Pontypridd), lodging at 5, Aberfawr Terrace, Abertridwr, for 12 months.

On 17th August 1908 he murdered his landlady's daughter, Anita Dorothy Lawrence (known as Dorothy), and was remanded at Caerphilly Police Court on the 25th of August. His trial was at Glamorgan Assizes, at Swansea, on Friday 11th December, and, despite him pleading "not guilty," the jury took just 7 minutes to find him guilty. An appeal was made to the Home Secretary, but it was refused on the 26th December.

He went to the gallows at Cardiff Prison wearing both his South Africa medal and a locket containing his victim's photo, and was hung at 8 a.m. on Wednesday 30th December 1908, Henry Pierrepoint, with his brother, being the executioner. Collins' body was interred in an unmarked grave in Cardiff Prison, which is where it remains. Would it have been permitted for him to be buried with his medal and the locket?

For the story of the murder - newspapers.library.wales/view/4198574/4198577/49/noah%20collins

Above - Collins, photographed in 1908, or possibly 1907.

Above - Anita Dorothy Lawrence.

Below - the frontage of part of Aberfawr Terrace as it is in the present day. In 1908, with a working colliery in the area, it wouldn't have looked quite this smart.

The rear of part of the terrace, giving a better picture of how they would have looked over 100 years ago.

Note - I saw one contemporary report that he'd had his 25th birthday while in Cardiff Prison, but all other reports says that he died aged 24.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brett Hendey, David Grant, SWB

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Noah Patrick Collins aka Noah Percy Collins, ILH & Marshall's Horse 6 years 5 months ago #55948

• SWB
  • Thank you received: 448
Fascinating story Berenice.

Here is Collins' medal roll entry fro Marshall's Horse, no mention of ILH, need to dig further on this. States medal delivered to Cardiff Prison. The 1907 dates relate to correspondence (unknown) that the medal was held for personal application.

Researcher & Collector
The Register of the Anglo-Boer Wars 1899-1902
theangloboerwars.blogspot.co.uk/
www.facebook.com/boerwarregister
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: BereniceUK

Noah Patrick Collins aka Noah Percy Collins, ILH & Marshall's Horse 6 years 5 months ago #55955

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1873
Hi Bereniece and Meurg.......

In reading this it struck a note: Abertridwr area (near Pontypridd), lodging at 5, Aberfawr Terrace, Abertridwr

My Mother a War bride was born in Abertridwr, in a name, that I cannot read, Terrace....... The old birth certificate has been heavily water damaged...... The only thing is she was born in 1919, a WW! war baby....... Maiden name was Williams.......

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

Noah Patrick Collins aka Noah Percy Collins, ILH & Marshall's Horse 6 years 5 months ago #55959

• BereniceUK
  • BereniceUK's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2294
What an amazing coincidence, Mike! I've just looked at the Abertridwr street names, and there are the following Terraces - Aberfawr, Bryncoed, Bryngelli, Edward, Gelli, and Underwood.

Noah Patrick Collins aka Noah Percy Collins, ILH & Marshall's Horse 6 years 5 months ago #55963

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1873
Hi & Thanks Berenice.......

Under a strong glass it looks like it is Edwards..... Have a bunch of souvenir china she brought back last time she visited with Gift from Abertridwr on it.......

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

Noah Patrick Collins aka Noah Percy Collins, ILH & Marshall's Horse 6 years 5 months ago #55966

• Georgegt351
  • Thank you received: 31
Talk about coincidences-my father was born in Pontypridd in 1910 and his father was working in the mines about the time this happened-my grandfather went on to servE with the Royal Welsh Fusilliers at Suvla Bay and later in France. They emigrated to Australia in 1928 and my father served in the Northern Australia Observer Force in the Northern Territory and my grandfather was a Sergeant instructor with the Militia-I have both sets of medals as well as 4 of my own courtesy of 36 years in the RAAF.
The following user(s) said Thank You: BereniceUK

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.865 seconds