Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

From Llandudno to the Transvaal 6 years 7 months ago #55545

• BereniceUK
  • BereniceUK's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2300
This photo appeared on the front page of a Welsh-language newspaper, Papur Pawb (published in Caernarfon), on 27th January 1900. The subtitle below the photo reads: - "GWYR LLANDUDNO SYN MYND YR TRANSVAAL." The English translation is, I think, something like "Men of Llandudno who are going to the Transvaal."

How much would a copy of this particular edition be worth? What a great front page.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

From Llandudno to the Transvaal 6 years 7 months ago #55546

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
I suspect that is actually part of Great Orme's Head in the background.
The following user(s) said Thank You: BereniceUK

From Llandudno to the Transvaal 6 years 7 months ago #55553

• BereniceUK
  • BereniceUK's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2300
Any suggestions regarding the uniform? Denbighshire Hussars? I'm wondering if these are ten of the seventeen Llandudno men who served in the Imperial Yeomanry.

Sergeants Tom Davies, Richard 'Dick' Dunphy, and David Garrick Roberts; Corporal E. R. 'Ted' Owen; and Privates E. O. Williams, T. P. Williams, H. T. Baugh Parry, George Goodwin, Will Hughes, W. Allman, Owen Roberts, Evan Hughes, C. R. Lempriere, Sam Hughes, E. Oliver Jones, W. Kenyon and Bertie Gates. They left Llandudno on Monday 8th January 1900, then sailed for South Africa the first week of February.

Dunphy was later referred to as being promoted to Corporal - Sergeant in the Hussars, Corporal in the I.Y.?

Goodwin was described as being the smallest man in the battalion, he was to die from pneumonia in South Africa.

C. R. Lempriere was possibly a relation of George P. Lempriere, the professional balloonist.

From Llandudno to the Transvaal 6 years 7 months ago #55566

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Yes, I think they are.

BereniceUK wrote: Any suggestions regarding the uniform? Denbighshire Hussars? I'm wondering if these are ten of the seventeen Llandudno men who served in the Imperial Yeomanry.

Sergeants Tom Davies, Richard 'Dick' Dunphy, and David Garrick Roberts; Corporal E. R. 'Ted' Owen; and Privates E. O. Williams, T. P. Williams, H. T. Baugh Parry, George Goodwin, Will Hughes, W. Allman, Owen Roberts, Evan Hughes, C. R. Lempriere, Sam Hughes, E. Oliver Jones, W. Kenyon and Bertie Gates. They left Llandudno on Monday 8th January 1900, then sailed for South Africa the first week of February.

Dunphy was later referred to as being promoted to Corporal - Sergeant in the Hussars, Corporal in the I.Y.?

Goodwin was described as being the smallest man in the battalion, he was to die from pneumonia in South Africa.

C. R. Lempriere was possibly a relation of George P. Lempriere, the professional balloonist.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.411 seconds