Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Re: Boer Artillery Shells 12 years 3 weeks ago #2755

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1541
Andre: The article I quoted from was in the 1992 annual of the US magazine "Guns and Ammo". The article was titled "The kort nek Mauser Mystery" written by Jack Lott. It sought to provide answers to contemporary complaints from the field that "certain Mauser cartridges caused the Mausers to burst". Additional to fairly inconclusive findings by Jack Lott, details were provided about Boer ammunition-making capabilities. Delfos & Co did not actually get to produce the 10k rounds of 7mm per day due to Brit occupation. A description of what was made is not appropriate here. I always supposed that unexploded Boer artillery shells were caused by inexpert fuze setting, or by them falling on soft ground. It is always possible that the fuses made by the Delfos Dynamite Factory occasionally caused "blinds"; did not go off. Hope this helps.
IL.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Andre Chissel

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Boer Artillery Shells 12 years 3 weeks ago #2761

• Andre Chissel
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Many thanks !

Right copy of Guns & ammo here we come !

Andre

Re: Boer Artillery Shells 8 years 8 months ago #42675

• ctgbuff
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Can you please give me the reference detail of which G & A in which this was published? Was there any mention further of rifle ammo being made? Should you be able to scan me the article I would appreciate it. It can be sent to me at [email protected]. Regards Marius

Re: Boer Artillery Shells 8 years 8 months ago #42676

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1541
Marius
I don't know if you were addressing your query to myself or Andre. In any case, in an earlier post I cited the date and title of the magazine. The article in question cites the US attache saying that some machinery to make ammunition was delivered to Dellos & Bros; however the installation was only completed as the British entered Pretoria. However, it seems that whatever was delivered was to make rifle BULLETS (projectiles) and the factory was to rely on returned empty (fired) cases (one shilling and six pence were offered per hundred empty cases).
Just now, I had a look and located a copy of the 1992 G&A Annual on amazon (with which I have no connection). The article would still be in copyright.
IL.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ctgbuff

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.832 seconds