• Page:

TOPIC:

Boer Artillery Shells 12 years 4 weeks ago #2724

• Tim2000
  • Tim2000's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
I seem to read a lot about the ineffectiveness of the Boer Artillery shells, seems a lot did not explode, particularly in the western theatre of the war, not necessarily Natal. Did the European nations from which they purchased their shells sell them poor quality ones? or was it the fact that they used Cordite and the Boers were not schooled properly in how to store Cordite shells? speaking of Cordite, which is a more effective explosive, Cordite (used by the Boers) or Lyddite (used by the British)? is there a difference?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Boer Artillery Shells 12 years 4 weeks ago #2725

• Andre Chissel
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
I understand that the Boers were forced to produce home made detonators so that is why they were rubbish -anyone else want to comment ?

Re: Boer Artillery Shells 12 years 4 weeks ago #2729

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1541
According to an article in a US G@A 1992 annual, the US Military attache (Capt. Reichmann - with the Boers) reported that up to 3/1900 the firm of Delfos Bros and Co had manufactured amongst other things, 5,000 primer tubes, 450 percussion fuzes for 75mm guns, 14000 friction primers, 150 grams of fulminate of Mercury and 3,500 kg of Ballistite for guns (Ballistite for small arms was listed seperately). Delfos Bros was contracted by Joubert to set up and run the plant; I assume in Pretoria. So, yes, the Boers did make their own fuzes for artillery - and it seems much else in the way of ammunition.
Regards
Ian Linney.

Re: Boer Artillery Shells 12 years 4 weeks ago #2730

• Andre Chissel
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Thanks Ian

Brilliant response ! Pleas could you send me the full reference ? I am actually VERY interested in this topic as my relative was killed when (Yup this is true) a dud Boer artillery shell passed right through him at the end of April 1900.

Andre

Re: Boer Artillery Shells 12 years 4 weeks ago #2738

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4541
Andre,

There are quite a few reports that Boer shells, particularly in the early engagements, were not well constructed and failed to detonate on impact.

Here's two photos of Begbie's Foundry in Johannesburg that used to manufacture shells until it burnt down.

Regards
David
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

Re: Boer Artillery Shells 12 years 3 weeks ago #2753

• Andre Chissel
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Many thanks David - Realy wasn't expecting all this when I put my first reply in ! Thank you !

Andre

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 1.430 seconds