TOPIC:

KITCHENER'S HORSE SERVICE NUMBERING. 7 years 3 months ago #51652

• Sussex.T
  • Sussex.T's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Evening all.

I've been lucky enough to acquire a QSA medal to a Sergeant Ernest Sydney SARA...25328...Kitchener's Horse.Ernests medal has the clasps for CC,OFS and TRANS.He was also awarded a clasp 'SA 1901' when he was transferred to Roberts Horse at about that time.He obviously never got around to fixing this last clasp to his medal,as sadly it is missing.
My main question is,as the original contingent of Kitchener's Horse had 4-digit service numbers,where did these much higher 5-digit numbers come from?Most KH and RH numbers in this block seem to be in the 23,000 to 26,000 range.A soldier whose number is not far out from Ernests' enlisted from Canada.Indeed,Sgt SARA was born in about 1878 and originated from Cornwall,S.W.England.To become a Sergeant at such a relatively low age i would assume he may have had some previous military service...Is Canada or S.Africa a possibility?After the war he stayed on in S.Africa until he returned to the UK in 1915,(possibly to re-enlist)....However,he appears to have died shortly after his return.

I've tried to be brief as possible,but thought a bit of background info would be of interest.
I'm hoping one of you knowledgeable members on the forums could come up with some answers.

Thanks in advance,Rob.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.297 seconds