• Page:

TOPIC:

Invalided to England 8 years 6 months ago #43859

• nightingale268
  • nightingale268's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
My Great Grandfather William Nightingale served with the 2/East Surrey Regt. (2544). As far I can see he was 'invalided to England' in September 1901. I'm struggling to find out why he was invalided and where he would have been sent. I think he may have returned to Sunningdale?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Invalided to England 8 years 6 months ago #43860

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1541
Nightingale
I had a look in my casualty roll just in case - but he does not show there. It is highly likely that he was one of the many thousands of men on campaign who caught the prevalent diseases of the day. Enteric Fever was one such. There was an inoculation programme for troops on their way to the war - it sometimes appears to have been voluntary. I understand there were convalescent Hospitals in theatre - or stubborn cases might be sent back home for treatment.. In such a case, your GGF would not show in the casualty lists. As a private soldier, I don't even think he would have shown in the shipping lists.
The Boer War was a rough one to serve in.
Best of luck with your quest
IL.

Invalided to England 8 years 6 months ago #43871

• davidh
  • Thank you received: 246
Nightingale - His papers are on Ancestry. These show he was discharged 4/1/1902 but no reason is indicated. His WW1 papers are included too.

Hope this helps.

David

Invalided to England 8 years 6 months ago #43882

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
WO364 confirms his service had been completed at that point in time, perfectly normal!

nightingale268 wrote: My Great Grandfather William Nightingale served with the 2/East Surrey Regt. (2544). As far I can see he was 'invalided to England' in September 1901. I'm struggling to find out why he was invalided and where he would have been sent. I think he may have returned to Sunningdale?

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 1.123 seconds