TOPIC:

A soldier's wages 8 years 11 months ago #41344

• Melody
  • Melody's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello Again,
Can anyone tell me what a private in the British Army would of been payed during the Boer War time period? I thought it was still about only a shilling a day. I read that the soldiers were docked for their food and uniform, is that so? Also I heard that they were docked 4 shillings if they died for the blanket they were sewed into! Hope you can set me straight.

many thanks, Melody

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

A soldier's wages 8 years 11 months ago #41345

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1541
Melody
The basic rate of pay for an infantry Private in 1898 was increased to one shilling and three pence a day. A messing allowance was included in the basic pay . I cannot find confirmation of my once reading that a Good Conduct Badge added a penny a day However, there was a deduction for "stoppages" (barrack cleaning, soap, etc ) that ensured that our squaddie did not actually get his "shillin a day". Privates in the Imperial Yeomanry were enlisted on Short Service conditions and had a basic pay rate of five-shillings a day.
Regarding your query about the deceased soldiers effects being deducted for the cost of the blanket they were buried in - I might recall a certain W.E.Johns confirming that when interviewed about his reminisces of WW1 service.

Should you ever feel the need to delve deeper into this subject, I suggest that you ask you local library to get you a copy of "The Late Victorian Army 1868-1902" by Edward Spiers (ISBN 0 7190 2659 8).
Hope this helps
IL.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Melody

A soldier's wages 8 years 11 months ago #41358

• Melody
  • Melody's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello Linneyl,
Thank you for this information. I work at a library and I will request that book. Thanks so much for your help.
Melody

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.366 seconds