Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Boer War Chocolate Tins 1 year 1 month ago #88961

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4527

Distribution of the Queen's chocolate.

The interest taken by Her Majesty Queen Victoria in her troops has often been demonstrated by kind and thoughtful acts throughout her beneficent reign, Her Majesty wishes, during Christmas 1899, to convey in some way to every British soldier at the front her sympathy and good wishes. The great difficulty of reaching each individual of the vast number engaged on active service was solved by Her Majesty sending to every soldier and volunteer in the field one pound of chocolate, enclosed in a specially designed box, which 'Tommy' could retain as a souvenir of the war and a memento his Sovereign's kindly interest in his welfare.

Source: www.angloboerwar.com/forum/11-research/3...9-1900?start=0#88756
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: azyeoman, Sturgy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Boer War Chocolate Tins 1 year 1 month ago #89008

• Neville_C
  • Thank you received: 1991
Just came across this while researching Boer ammunition. Amongst a group of trophies from the Kimberley area is one of the chocolate boxes with its original ribbon intact. This is how the tins were distributed.

The second photograph shows another tin, with the ribbon rearranged for display purposes. Again from the Kimberley area.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ians1900, azyeoman, Moranthorse1

Boer War Chocolate Tins 1 year 1 month ago #89009

• Ians1900
  • Thank you received: 194
Thank you Neville, it's nice to see these pictures. I had never seen or knew about the ribbon.

Kind regards

Ian
The following user(s) said Thank You: Neville_C

Boer War Chocolate Tins 1 year 1 month ago #89010

• Neville_C
  • Thank you received: 1991
Stephan Welz, Johannesburg, are selling one of the Kimberley displays at their next auction (28 March 2023)

These were designed with a space to take a chocolate tin (see above). However, unusually, the example being sold on the 28th features a photograph of Long Cecil instead of a tin.

Courtesy of Stephan Welz, Johannesburg

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ians1900, gavmedals

Boer War Chocolate Tins 11 months 2 weeks ago #89804

• General Gordon 1948
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 4
Hi Alan,
Some added information can be found on my YouTube channel " General Gordon" and if you are interested on a copy of the Booklet just let me know.

Regards
Malcolm

Boer War Chocolate Tins 3 weeks 1 day ago #94945

• Sturgy
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 257
It's amazing that of everything I have in my collection the one thing everyone finds interesting is the 125 year old Chocolate! Perhaps it's something that everyone can relate to....

I have 2x tins with "original" contents; I have photographed them side by side as they show the difference in the way they have aged (spoiler alert: not like a good red wine).

I know the chocolate tins came from the three manufacturers, Fry, Cadbury and Rowntree and all produced the chocolate tins....but....was there a difference in the way the chocolate was made that effected the way in which they "matured"....food for thought....

The one on the right isn't much of a talking point as it looks like I've dumped old coco powder into the tin :dry:
Speak my name so that I may live again
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moranthorse1

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.770 seconds