• Page:

TOPIC:

Most objective book on Boer War? 12 years 4 months ago #1653

• Tim2000
  • Tim2000's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
I have just started reading Conan Doyle's "The Great Boer War" Book (1902 edition). I also finished reading Byron Farwell's book on same topic. There are other authors of books on this war as well. Whom do you believe is the most objective? I am curious as to what others may think.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Most objective book on Boer War? 12 years 4 months ago #1655

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1882
Good Morning Tim.....

There are great many books out there on the subject that swing from one side to the other.... It is a great field of study.... Each book has it's own view or slant.... All you can do is read as much as you can and then you have to make the decision for yourself....

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

Re: Most objective book on Boer War? 12 years 4 months ago #1657

• Mark Wilkie
  • Thank you received: 45
Tim, I'll echo Mike but will add that I have found myself returning to two books over the years. The first is Reitz's Commando. I must confess that that is probably for the sheer pleasure of reading but it does give one good insight into the Boer view. The second is 'The Boer War' by Thomas Pakenham. This book has its faults but I do find that it tends to give a fairly balanced view of much of the politics of the war and a reasonably good overview of the war. Such general works always have their weaknesses and many military actions are covered only generally. Books tend to lead you one way or the other. My annual read of Pakenham seems to clear my head and helps recalibrate my focus even if I don't share all his views.

Cheers,

Mark

Re: Most objective book on Boer War? 12 years 4 months ago #1658

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1882
Tim.....

Here are a couple of more that you might like to read if you can find them....

BOERS IN WAR, THE STORY OF THE BRITISH-BOER WAR OF 1899-1902, AS SEEN FROM THE BOER SIDE, WITH A DESCRIPTION OF THE MEN AND METHODS OF THE REPUBLICAN ARMIES, by Howard C. Hillegas, Appleton and Co., 1900

MY REMINISCENCES OF THE ANGLO-BOER WAR, by General Ben Viljoen, Hood, Douglas and Ward, 1902

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

Re: Most objective book on Boer War? 12 years 1 month ago #2542

• Doyle
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Try The Boer War by Thomas Packenham. Very even-handed.

For the lead up to the hostilities, read Jameson's Raid by Elizabeth Longford (who was Thomas Packenham's mother).

She was related to Joseph Chamberlain, the Collonial Secretary at the time of Jameson's Raid, and had access to his papers.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.380 seconds