Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Re: Margaret McInnes letters: Young Australian teacher teaching Boer children 11 years 8 months ago #5451

• Mark Wilkie
  • Mark Wilkie's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 45
Brett, I've wondered about that, too. Margaret settled in South Africa and as far as I know never set foot on Australian soil again. so in a way she joined the South African colonials. She married my great grandfather, a Natal colonial in 1904 and lived in the Transvaal (Machadodorp and JHB mainly) before retiring to Natal. She went to stay with my great aunt in Cape Town when she became very frail and died there in 1964.

Cheers,

Mark

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Margaret McInnes letters: Young Australian teacher teaching Boer children 11 years 8 months ago #5454

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1883
Fantastic Letters.....

Glad that they have been saved.....

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

Re: Margaret McInnes letters: Young Australian teacher teaching Boer children 11 years 8 months ago #5462

• Mark Wilkie
Thanks Mike,

Sadly, only one letter left but I'll try continue the thread with additional info I dig up on Margaret. I'm hoping to visit my mother's cousins (Margaret's other grandchildren) on my next trip to South Africa and see what else I can come up with. I'm hoping there might be some photos somewhere.

Cheers,

Mark

Re: Margaret McInnes letters: Young Australian teacher teaching Boer children 11 years 3 weeks ago #9734

• Mark Wilkie
And the the final letter in the collection of Margaret's letters.

Teachers’ Hostel
Potchefstroom

Dear Annie

This is just the last lap. Tomorrow we break up for the Midwinter Holidays, a month – I’m not going away. At least only to Fredrikstadt for a few days, am saving up for the home trip much as I’d like to go to Natal. It must wait till things are better.

We’ve just been having exams. The funniest I ever suffered. My beauties know about six words of English each and those they wouldn't say for the Inspector. However he said the discipline was good & paid my salary so I suppose it’s all right. Mrs. Wise (Lab) has bought a new dog cart (such a beauty, quite the smartest in town) and a spanking horse. She can’t drive a scrap and the other girls can’t do much more but they all fancy I’m a boss hand at it so I always have to go. It’s all right I sit up as to the manner born and flourish a long whip.

We've been having rather a bad time just lately. Ada had fever and the boy loafed so we were left on our own, had to do all the work ourselves. No point in getting out to light the fire these mornings. The cold is simply wicked and we haven’t a fireplace or stove in the house except the kitchen. There was three inches ice on the furrows yesterday. I know now why they told us to fetch hot water bags. I nearly live in the possum rug. I’d part with anything I own rather than that rug. I’ve been offered £5 for it over & over again and heaps of people have begged us to bring back rugs for them when we come.

There are two new teachers coming to live at the Hostel after the holidays so we’ll be quite a large household.

I told you I’d got a false tooth in place of that one I had out just before I left. It’s the worry of life and spends most of it’s time in my pocket or at the dentists. He suggested taking a contract for repairs.

The second S.A.C dance is tomorrow night. This place is mad on dancing. They average about one a fortnight. I’m getting sick of them rather but this one is extra special. There are 350 invitations and the special S.A.C. band from Jo’burg.

So you've had the Campbell family with you. Did Ma go back with them? I’m wondering how she’d stand the journey. I hear Lock has gone home. Had a letter from Ena lately.

Fancy Nosworthy taking another wife. The wicked old man.

The Government here is getting mean. We have to pay rent for our rooms now. 25/- a month each. Aren't they cats? They told us at first the house was rent free. Everything is so expensive that really it’s not so very much better than Aust. only that the work is so easy and no one ever worries you to make the kiddies learn. We've got no material. I've had to smash slates into three pieces so the kiddies would each have a bit to write on. Then they have to use a scrap of slate for a pencil. Reading books are unknown. They learn all reading from the blackboard. Lots of them come minus boots even in this wicked weather poor little mortals. They are not as dirty as we were led to believe but still they have a pious dread of water. When I tell them I have a cold bath every day, they’re not a bit impressed only look sorry that I’m so dirty as to need it.

Good night, love to all

Margaret

Margaret McInnes letters: Young Australian teacher teaching Boer children 8 years 11 months ago #41064

• CSLR
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Dear Mark
Have you possibly had time to transcribe any more of the letters yet? I am very interested in teaching and schools in the concentration camps established during the Anglo Boer wars and would love to have some firsthand information on teachers' experiences.
Cheryl

PS I see all the letters are here - what a treasure trove! I have downloaded them all and can't wait to read them in sequence! Do you have any new developments on the saga? i note that these posts are from 2-3 years ago. Thank you so much for all the work you have done in transcribing the letters - it's a great effort which is sincerely appreciated.

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.595 seconds