Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Re: Margaret McInnes letters: Young Australian teacher teaching Boer children 11 years 10 months ago #4629

• Mark Wilkie
  • Mark Wilkie's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 45
Hi all, I've been away on holiday in thew Japanese Alps so haven't been on the forum for a few weeks. Several letters back I posted that we were down to the final four of Margaret's letters but during a recent move my mother discovered another five letters backed away that that she had forgotten about so there are still another four to come after this one.

Cheers,

Mark

Potchefstroom

Dear Ma

We’re still here though daily expecting orders to go to our little farm. Everybody says it’s an awfully nice place and the people whose farm the school is on are British. I’ve signed an agreement to stay on for three years from today but after the end of my original year – 31 July 1903 – I am to get three month’s leave of absence and a free passage home and back. I shall not take the leave directly after the 31st July as I want to go up for an examination which might secure me a better appointment. The salary will be not less than £210 a year and quarters. I think it’s the best thing I can do as the pay is being cut down so at home and the teaching gets harder every year.

So far the work here is a mere detail. Most of the time I’m looking round for something to do. The inspector in charge of the Ventersdorp District where I’m going is to be married very soon to one of the Scotch teachers from here. She’s awfully nice so we shall have one pal for a start.

Have the Campbell family arrived yet? You’ll see a difference in the kiddies. Colin will be at school by this time I expect.

I’ll write again as soon as we get instructions about going out. Address letters here in the meantime & they will be forwarded.

What a streak of luck for the Hack family. They deserve something good. They’ve stuck to the mine long enough.

Love to everybody
Mag

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Margaret McInnes letters: Young Australian teacher teaching Boer children 11 years 10 months ago #4630

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 740
Welcome back from your holiday, Mark. Good news about the extra letters!

Regards
Brett

Re: Margaret McInnes letters: Young Australian teacher teaching Boer children 11 years 10 months ago #4631

• capepolice
  • Thank you received: 433
Hello Mark,

Trust you had a superb holiday in the "Land of the Rising Sun" B) .

As always, a real treat reading these letters, I look forward to the next instalment.

Cheers
Adrian
Part time researcher of the Cape Police and C.P.G Regiment.

Re: Margaret McInnes letters: Young Australian teacher teaching Boer children 11 years 9 months ago #4653

• Mark Wilkie
Thanks Adrian & Brett,

Kind of sounds strange going to the Land of the Rising Sun to get away from the sun but that was very much part of the motivation for the trip. to get away fro the hellish Taiwan sun for a bit.

Cheers,

Mark

Re: Margaret McInnes letters: Young Australian teacher teaching Boer children 11 years 9 months ago #4737

• Mark Wilkie
Potchefstroom

Dear Ma

It’s a month now since we got orders to quit and here we are still waiting for the transport. The latest is that I’m to go to a farm for a few weeks & then into the school at Ventersdorp but as they change their minds about every 10 minutes it’s no use worrying.

We break up today for the Easter holidays – a fortnight. We’re all invited to spend part of the time at Ventersdorp & afterwards to go to the Vaal for a camping out picnic. Am afraid the latter will fall though. It’s getting so cold at nights now.

University men are just crowding out to the schools here. Two arrived in Potchefstroom last week. One from St Andrew in Scotland. They gave him an old moke of a house & sent him off to a school 20 miles out. He’d never been on a horse before & didn’t seem to like it much but was too meek to say so. About an hour later he came limping back leading the horse. He’d got off to pick up his hat & couldn’t get on again. We tied his valise in front of the saddle, his coat behind to keep him from falling off & hoisted him up once more. He set off looking miserable & hasn’t been heard of since. They’re too soft to be let loose really. They’re clever no doubt but they’re awful soft. We gave him an old revolver & a box of blank cartridges. He didn’t know the difference & thought he was armed to face a regiment.

Last Saturday a part of us went to the Vaal River for a picnic. We crossed the river at De Wet’s Drift and had lunch in the Orange River Colony. It’s very pretty. On the far side are huge cliffs. On the top of one is perched a block house from which the British defended the Drift when the Boers tried to cross. There was only a very slight engagement but we found a few cartridges. We did some rifle practice. I broke a plate at 300 yds. Just tell Lee that.

We’ve been a whole month without Australian mail till this week when two arrived. The 2nd being the letters that were written first.

Wellington Junior’s quite a noble child. I’m very pleased with him. How the Education Dept are slaughtering the salaries at home. I’d have not got my rise this year if I’d been there. Don’t think I’ll ask man Stanton for his £80 a year.

The Herald arrive safely. Thanks.

Must stop now. The mail’s going out but there’s another on Monday.
Love to all

Margaret

Re: Margaret McInnes letters: Young Australian teacher teaching Boer children 11 years 8 months ago #5226

• Mark Wilkie
Teachers' Hostel
Potchefstroom

Dear Annie

The event of the season is over. The S.A.C. ball. It was last Wednesday. A most awfully swell affair. All the talent of the district toed the line from the General commanding the District to your humble servant Margaret M. The General – a fat old thing with a very red face didn’t dance – gout I think but the second in command footed it bravely. I was honoured with a dance with him. He walked all over my feet. Tore my train & panted horribly all the time but I didn’t care a bit. I knew the less fortunate mortals were envying me. He was gorgeous in a brilliant red uniform with a perfect forest of medals. Looked just as if he’d stepped out of a picture in the Family Herald. The supper was too lovely for words. Champagne flowed like water. Wednesday afternoon Miss Young & I were bidden to a tennis party. We arrayed ourselves in our best & went forth. People put on awful side here. I found myself amongst several magnificently arrayed old damsels who discussed their servants, their dresses & their children. I agreed with all they said & smiled my hardest till I began to wonder if it were really myself. I was quite sure of the matter when the tea arrived though and lapped up tea and cake in the same old way.

There’s another dance on the 8th The Bachelors & then the next assembly dance on the 13th. Truly Potchefstroom is rapid. Can’t afford the Bachelors.

I’ve got a new class at school now. Got tired of my few and asked for more work. I’ve fifty now all ages from five to fifteen. Most of them don’t know a word of English. It’s funny as can be to hear my Dutch & their English. Most of them are bootless & have peculiar habits. Spit on the floor, use their coat sleeve for a handkerchief etc. I’m running a fancy work class now. Get about 10/- a week out of it. Have to scrape for every cent out here everything is so expensive. I think I’ll be able to come home about the end of the year. Get my leave either just before or just after the Christmas holidays which will make our leave a month longer. Some of the English & Scotch have gone already but of course their time was up before ours. The Canadians go next month.

They’re awfully short of teachers out here. There are 100 children at the Burgher Settlement near here without a teacher at all. It would be an alright thing for some of the poorly paid teachers at home to get here but I’d never advise them to come. Everything is so unsettled you can’t be sure of anything for more than 10 minutes at a time. I never know the moment I may be shot off to a farm school although a man I know heard Bangley (that’s the Inspector) say he meant to keep Miss McInnes in the town schools. I don’t trust him though.

I must go now & get tea. Ada’s day out & my turn in the kitchen.

Love to everybody
Margaret

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.441 seconds