TOPIC:

Hospital Ship "Orcana" 12 years 7 months ago #1112

• st helena
  • st helena's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi,
Is there anyone out there who as any photos or pictures of the "Hospital Ship Orcana" Please!
I'm doing some family history research into my gt-uncle who was in "J"
Battery RHA,and on the 20th July 1900 was on the "HS.Orcana" as an Invalid. I know by what it says on the "Ships List" on this site about the 9th August 1900 landed at Plymouth, "But" would the ship called into "Southampton" first to put the Invalids and sick and wounded ashore?? before sailing to Plymouth?? can any one help me out Please?
Plus does anyone have any pictures of the Hospitals at "Bloemfontein & Capetown Please?

Thank you for your Kind Help!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Hospital Ship "Orcana" 10 years 3 weeks ago #19151

• FredV45
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
St Helena, it's been some time since you posted this request, and I came across it today looking for the history and pictures of the same ship. I discovered the Pacific Steam Nav Co had 2 ships named Orcana. The one used as a transport during the Boer War was the first, built in 1896 and torpedoed after several name changes in 1917. In the ShipsList it is mentioned it had four masts and one funnel: webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=...&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=au is the reference and gives the history. The 2nd Orcana was the former Miltiades - transferred and renamed within the Company in 1922 and it was larger and had two masts. If you google for images of the Orcana you'll find several of the 1st ship with the 4 masts. Best wishes as you research your uncle's story!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.579 seconds