Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Pretoria Friend-Newspaper 9 years 1 month ago #26224

• coldstream
  • coldstream's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 214
I was unsure where to post this thread, so I have opted for Miscellany.
I visited a local militaria fair today www.daviddouglasmilitariafairs.co.uk/ it is a general militaria fair that sometimes throws up a few suprises.
I am lucky enough to be friendly with a few dealers who are kind enough to keep things back for me within my collecting field.
Today one of the dealers had an interesting find for me, he had traded it for a badge and kept me in mind.
Something I have not come across before "Pretoria Friend"
A complete set of the newspaper published in Pretoria soon after British occupation.
The content is a mixture of general news,notices,proclamations and local advertising, there are 17 issues,each 4pp 410 x 265mm
A header from the auction house gives this preliminary notice:-
A newspaper was started in Bloemfontein soon after the occupation of that town by the Imperial forces with the object of providing news for the troops.
With the same object a committee has been informed to publish-with the kind permission of F.M. the commander-in -chhief-a less pretentious journal in Pretoria, in the hopes that it may meet the demand for news of the outer world.
The Pretoria Friend will be published daily; price 3d.
Arrangements will be made, as soon as possible, to have the paper on sale at various shops throughout the town, meanwhile it can be purchased at J.W.KEITH'S shops in Church Street West, and C.BASSON'S Church Street.
The proprietors of "Reuters" have, through their representative Mr.Gwynne. very kindly given permission to publish their telegrams free of charge.
Any profit that may be made will be handed to the Military Governor, to be given to any carities he may think fit.
All communications regarding the paper to be made to LORD STANLEY Hd.Quarters, or Lieut.Hon.J.WARD, Mr.Wierda's house.
Applications for space for advertismentsto be sent to Mr.KEITH, Bookseller , as above.

Has anyone seen these newspapers before?

Paul :)
"From a billow of the rolling veldt we looked back, and black columns were coming up behind us."
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Pretoria Friend-Newspaper 9 years 1 month ago #26226

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1881
Good Afternoon Paul......

Great find all bound together......

I picked up 2 copies No. 5 and No. 14 a few years ago along with copy No. 1792 and 1793 (April 29th & 26th, 1900) of The St. Helena Guardian.......

The Guardian has the stories of the arrival of the first POW's and the Gloster Militia......

Interesting there is a large Advert on the front page, above the fold for Lea & Perrin's Original Worcestershire Sauce...... :lol:

My Friend states "The Authorized Medium for Official News"......

I am surprised that both have survived since there must have been a shortage of toilet paper in those days......

Oh yes also have 2 original copies of Ladysmith Lyre Vol. 1 No. 3, 5th December 1899 and Vol. 1 No. 4, 15th December 1899.....

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

Pretoria Friend-Newspaper 9 years 1 month ago #26228

• coldstream
  • coldstream's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 214
Hello Mike,

Thank you.
They should make interesting reading, amazing they have survived as you say.
The advertisements are great :)
I am envious of your Ladysmith Lyre I am sure they are rare.

Regards
Paul :)
"From a billow of the rolling veldt we looked back, and black columns were coming up behind us."

Pretoria Friend-Newspaper 9 years 1 month ago #26234

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 740
Paul
This was indeed a rare find! It shows how important and productive it can be to develop friendships with dealers and other collectors.
Regards
Brett

Pretoria Friend-Newspaper 9 years 1 month ago #26236

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Morning Brett,
I tend to agree, that is very rare indeed and not normally something you can just go out and buy, I do like Frederick's proclamations, but, of course, whilst he was born out in India, he was, in effect, Irish, certainly not a man to mince his words!
Regards Frank

Brett Hendey wrote: Paul
This was indeed a rare find! It shows how important and productive it can be to develop friendships with dealers and other collectors.
Regards
Brett

Pretoria Friend-Newspaper 9 years 1 month ago #26239

• Henk Loots
  • Thank you received: 443
Hi
I unfortunately sold my complete set years ago without first scanning or copying them. I recall some mentions of officers released from the Race Course

Henk

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 1.125 seconds