Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

'Reminiscences of the Boer War' by A Manxman 9 years 1 month ago #25915

• BereniceUK
  • BereniceUK's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2304
www.isle-of-man.com/manxnotebook/mquart/mq02077.htm

The first three paragraphs - "So many thousands of columns of matter have been written concerning the Anglo-Boer War, and everyone was so sickened of the whole affair, that it seems almost futile to add anything more to the agony. Nevertheless a few personal reminiscences of a Manxman, who went through the campaign, may not be void of interest to many who followed the ups and downs of this great war, which shook England to her very foundations. For several months before Oom Paul's historical ultimatum appeared, the English Press was almost daily dilating upon the power, ability, and resource of the British Army — " The finest artillery in the world," "What they could do," etc. Among the many Jingo effusions and silly ideas, an illustrated article appeared in " Pearson's Magazine," entitled "How the army is to be fed on the field," containing snap-shot photos of huge traction engines and trucks attached, being tested at Aldershot. These schoolboy trials at Aldershot proved to be perfectly satisfactory in every way, and the article in question was full of eulogies for the originator of this splendid idea of transport, among other things, stating that, to a large extent; these traction engines would do away with animal transport, etc.

Eventually, after the outbreak of hostilities, and when Buller was operating around Spearmans and Spion Kop, a number of these huge army feeder traction engines arrived, and were duly detrained and fitted up at the Army railway base — at that time, Frere. Being curious as to the practicability of these mechanical monsters on the veldt, I availed myself of a favourable opportunity to have a chat with one of the " officers in charge", and, to my surprise, he was very sanguine as to the advantages and suitability of this mode of transport for feeding the army from the base of operations, and concluding with the remark that once they got in full owing; half of the animal transport could be dispensed with.

In due course, one of the engines, with a light load, started off. Expressions of optimism ran high; and all went well until within about five miles out from Frere, when unfortunately the engine stuck fast in some boggy ground, and the more they tried to extricate her the deeper she sank in the earth; and, after several fruitless efforts to pull her out, she was finally abandoned, deeply submerged in the bog, a black and uncouth looking derelict, which unmistakeably told its own tale to the most verdant soldier — a silent veldt monument of military misplaced confidence. A few men were left in charge of her, and the sarcasm and stinging flouts flung at these men by passing Tommies, one might fancy, were seriously taken, as the leviathan was deserted on the green veldt, not even a single man being left in charge to stand the brunt of Tommy's invectives. A palpable failure! Anyone approaching from a distance, and not actually knowing what it was, would certainly have done a considerable amount of reconnoitring before advancing to get a nearer view of the ungainly monster, owing to the fact that at a distance on the veldt it had a suspicious and uncanny appearance — a "dangerous to approach" look — about it. After this disastrous experiment, no further trials were necessary " to prove the worthlessness of the engines for the purpose intended, so they were gathered together and sent round to Capetown."
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

'Reminiscences of the Boer War' by A Manxman 9 years 1 month ago #25919

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1541
Berenice
Thanks for posting the opinion of "A Manxman" re traction engines in the ABW. A quite contrary view might be obtained from "Steam Traction in the Royal Engineers" by Col. J.Nowers (ISBN 0-948305-07-X). Clearly there were early problems; however by the end of the conflict, Steam Road Transport had a central depot at Cape Town with depots at Klerksdorp, Victoria Road, Sanna's Post, Bloemfontein, Krugersdorp, Kronstadt, Pretoria and Kimberley. No less than fifty three engines ("steam sappers") were on hand; together with 356 trucks. The quoted work also records a number of accounts of field service in the ABW - not just the movement of stores from the docks to a Bulk Breaking Point.
Regards
IL.

'Reminiscences of the Boer War' by A Manxman 9 years 1 month ago #25920

• BereniceUK
"Billy Treloar of Haltwhistle, Northumberland with his 1900 Fowler steam engine - the only known traction engine left in existence which was used by the British during the Boer War. Forty seven steam engines were used by the British for haulage during the war and this one - made by John Fowler and Co, Leeds - is understood to be the only survivor. Billy - a steam engine fanatic - has lovingly restored the Fowler to its former glory and it is one of the star attractions at the annual vintage rally held in Corbridge, Northumberland."
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb, LinneyI

'Reminiscences of the Boer War' by A Manxman 9 years 1 month ago #25921

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1541
Berenice
Thanks for showing that clip! What a marvellous machine. The book I mentioned earlier says that several different types of Fowlers were used during the ABW; I tried to see if the one in the film clip showed a number (apart from what I assume to have been the registration plate) and could not see one. If a works number could be quoted, we might be able to add more.
It might be approporiate here to illustrate a QSA to Steam Road Transport;

... and naming;

WO100/155 shows 111 names under the heading of "Civilians in Steam Road Transport"; roll dated 11081901.
Of the 111 names, fully 40 have a "returned" marking against them. E.Box's medal is confirmed with the two attached clasps.
Thanks again, berenice, for showing that film clip.
Best regards
IL.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb, BereniceUK

'Reminiscences of the Boer War' by A Manxman 9 years 1 month ago #25927

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4530
A great thread. Many thanks!
Dr David Biggins

'Reminiscences of the Boer War' by A Manxman 9 years 1 month ago #25947

• BereniceUK
The annual rally at Corbridge is on 13th and 14th June this year. As things are at present I'll have Saturday the 13th off work so maybe I'll be able to go and take some photos of the ABW engine, maybe a video too. But as I'm hoping to have a change of job and a move by then I can't guarantee it.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 1.159 seconds