Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

British Intelligence 10 years 5 months ago #15432

• EFV
  • EFV's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 355
I would like some help with the following. I bought recently in different lots 6 "Briefkaarten" from a post card seller in Germany. These cards possibly have an Intelligence angle. All these were addressed to von Dessauer, a German presumably working for British Military Intelligence. (see extracts SA Military History Society-Journal- Vol 9, Number 6, December 1994) British Intel Ops in Mozambique August 1900.)
The briefkaarten have the following in common
All addressed in same hand to von Dessauer, c/o DMI, Pretoria (one has "Headquarters" mentioned)
All sent at same time from same postoffice in Pretoria (15.3.1902 at 5 pm)
All counterstamped at reverse Army Post Office Pretoria, C MR 15 02.
All passed Press Censor Pretoria (Triangular stamps)
All lack any text on reverse save for a two digit number in right hand corner
The differences:
each card has a different number on the reverse (I got 36,44,73,76,91,93)these look to have been written with the same pencil as the address on the front but could be collection numbers later added.
Strangely, some of the cards have 1 additional stamp (brown 2 pence overprinted ERI half penny) and some have two. The single stamps are affixed right below the printed red 1 penny stamp but the the ones with the two stamps have different positions.

Does anyone have an idea about this? Could it possibly have something to do with the upcoming conferences (Klerksdorp, Vereeniging)? or is there a more mundane answer to this little puzzle?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions and comments!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

British Intelligence 10 years 5 months ago #15461

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4531
EFV,

Puzzling and intriguing at the same time. I cannot shed any light on this and hope others can help you. It sounds like a mystery that needs to be understood.

Good luck!
David
Dr David Biggins

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.709 seconds