Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

lost uncle 10 years 9 months ago #13028

i have just found out that an uncle by marriage, of mine was a member of a cavalry unit called the rough riders ,he was a merchant seaman from Sweden jumped ship in cape town . then joined the army in the boar war ,my great uncle has a medal named the rough riders .i have his spurs. his name was Gustave Nielson any information would be most grateful

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

lost uncle 10 years 9 months ago #13029

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Good morning and welcome to this forum,
There was a certain Gustaf Nielson, who did serve in both the South African Light Horse and the 9th New Zealand Mounted Rifles, could be him, I suppose, do you have the medal you mention, anything else you can tell us?
Again, welcome
Regards Frank

lost uncle 10 years 9 months ago #13039

great thank you thats great news ,i have phoned my uncle who has the medal and he will get back to me a,s,a,p he is 90 all i know is that he came home and married a lady in the east end ,he became a chimney sweep and was god father to my uncle he drove a motorcycle with a box sidecar around the east end they lived in Maryland point Stratford as my uncle is quite unwell , this news will i am sure will cheer him up,i have attached a picture of his spurs to think when i was little i used to put them on my wellys to play cowboys.

lost uncle 10 years 9 months ago #13056

i have now some info on the medal the name on the medal is spelt, Nilson on the front is Victoria imeriatrix vic /no 6t.p.r./around the edge. warren s.m.i .a bar across the ribbon marked cape colony.the ribbon is the same as your one on the forum

lost uncle 10 years 9 months ago #13063

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Okay,
That would be Number 6 Trooper K Nilsson Warren's Mounted Infantry, medal and Cape Colony clasp is shown on WO100/278 page 25, he was in addition entited to the South Africa 1901 clasp as shown on page 60 of the same volume.
Warren's MI was a class C unit of the SAMIF, Nilsson's names appear to be August Emanual
Kind regards Frank
The following user(s) said Thank You: [email protected]

lost uncle 10 years 9 months ago #13064

thank you very much, how can i get any pictures of the unit any any details of movements ect

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.772 seconds