TOPIC:

P.A.O.V.C ART 10 years 10 months ago #12333

• wickettj
  • wickettj's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 1
Hi,

I have some diaries written by a W.Grant, I am trying to find out anything I can about him.

The diaries or in a pouch that like like it is made from elephant skin, on it are the letters above and the number 531.

There could be a 1st name but the writing is very faded and all I can make out is W.Grant, the W could be his middle initial.

He was on horse back.

Any information would be gratefully received.

Thanks
Jon

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

P.A.O.V.C ART 10 years 10 months ago #12347

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Hello Jon,
Welcome to this forum, there is a 381 Gunner W Grant shown in WO100/264 page 33, the medal roll of the Prince Alfreds Own Cape Artillery, who is shown as "Permitted to resign PAOCA 4th May 1901" three clasps are shown i.e. Cape Colony, Transvaal and Wittebergen, moreover, Wepener and Orange Free State are both crossed out.
Good luck with your research and again welcome,
Kind regards Frank
The following user(s) said Thank You: wickettj

P.A.O.V.C ART 10 years 10 months ago #12352

• wickettj
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Hi Frank,

Thank you for you great reply, not knowing much about this kind of thing could you please explain what the awards were for and why he would have been allowed to resign, was this due to health?

Thanks

Jon

P.A.O.V.C ART 10 years 10 months ago #12353

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Jon,
Have a play around on this site, click on Medals and Awards, Boer War period medals, then Queens Sounth Africa medal, all from the menu on the left of your screen, he was in a volunteer unit and would have been able to resign.
Regards Frank

P.A.O.V.C ART 10 years 10 months ago #12416

• Brianc
  • Thank you received: 49
Jon

You should seriously consider transcribing this diary, believe me from experience as you get used to the mans writing the easier it gets. I have transcribed my grandfathers handwritten WW1 War Unit Diary from Kew.

These are rare beauties to be honest. Medals and badges get kept...most paperwork gets thrown or eaten away. Needless to say without the protective pouch the same would have happened to this diary.

As a person who enjoys artillery units and medals I would enjoy reading this mans account of his experiences "on the veld"!

I also have an officers WW2 POW Diary written during his stay in Germany...all great stuff.

Regards
Brian

P.A.O.V.C ART 10 years 10 months ago #12434

• wickettj
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit

Brianc wrote: Jon

You should seriously consider transcribing this diary, believe me from experience as you get used to the mans writing the easier it gets. I have transcribed my grandfathers handwritten WW1 War Unit Diary from Kew.

These are rare beauties to be honest. Medals and badges get kept...most paperwork gets thrown or eaten away. Needless to say without the protective pouch the same would have happened to this diary.

As a person who enjoys artillery units and medals I would enjoy reading this mans account of his experiences "on the veld"!

I also have an officers WW2 POW Diary written during his stay in Germany...all great stuff.

Regards
Brian

Hi Brian,

I did start to transcribe the diaries but have had a lot of problems with my eyes of late.

I have also transcribed a set of WW1 diaries, these can be found here - www.facebook.com/Stapleton.Eachus.War.Diaries?fref=ts

or Here - www.wardiaries.co.uk

Jon
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brianc

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.449 seconds