Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Native Scouts of Natal 5 years 5 months ago #61319

• mike rowan
  • Thank you received: 88
Hi David
It was quite easy - the seller told me what it was.
The message was on a pre printed rice paper form. The message was written in pencil so fairly indistinct ( especially to my elderly eyesight ) With the help of a good magnifying glass I typed up what was on the form ( attached ) The highlighted words are preprinted
Regards
Mike

This message has an attachment file.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: djb

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Native Scouts of Natal 5 years 5 months ago #61320

• djb
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4529
Thanks, Mike,

In a age of digital communications it is nice to think this message was also transmitted through the air but by very different means,
Dr David Biggins

Native Scouts of Natal 5 years 5 months ago #61324

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Hello Mike,
I would treat any rank stars, actually with the lot, as his, to be quite honest, I'm not sure that I do have any from that period other than Household Cavalry and Guards Brigade, which differ considerably.
Yes indeed, pigeons could make all the difference on a Great War battlefield, you could never have too many, I dare say, for example, there were a number of members of the Tank Corps who owe their lives to a humble pigeon.
Regards Frank

mike rowan wrote: Hi Frank,
These particular epaulettes look as if they were never fitted with rank stars. There were a few rank stars with the "hoard ' of bits and pieces of which the epaulettes were but a part. Do you have a picture of what the corrects rank looked like ?
As an aside ( and not relevant to this post or even the Forum ) the hoard included two WW1 aluminium canisters designed to be tied to the legs of carrier pigeons . What was particularly interesting was that one still contained a message which gave battlefield information written in pencil on a rice paper pre printed message sheet. The message ended . "Please send Pigeons "
Regards
Mike

Native Scouts of Natal 5 years 5 months ago #61357

• Henk Loots
  • Thank you received: 443
Hi Everybody

The bronze QSA to Scout Simon is, as far as I can judge by paging through the relevant medal roll, the only QSA issued to one of the black scouts in the F.I.D. He served in Natal (top right of No 1 Sheet in QSA roll shows D.M.I. Natal. Scout Simon is on No 9 sheet)

I do not know how one can pursue the annotation opposite his name : Issued IV 513 1/23 AG 10/17986. It would seem the medal was issued in 1923 and the file may reveal the motivation for issue.
Brett : maybe his name has popped up in one of the many relevant sources you have consulted over the years!
Henk
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brett Hendey, Rory

Native Scouts of Natal 5 years 5 months ago #61358

• Rory
  • Thank you received: 2151
Fabulous!

Native Scouts of Natal 5 years 5 months ago #61362

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1881
I have to agree with Rory Fabulous medal...… Would have loved to see your collection when it was all together...…

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.816 seconds