• Page:

TOPIC:

Cheshire Regiment 11 years 1 month ago #8112

• abbrover
  • abbrover's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
I am researching 5587 Pte Thomas McDermott. His medal roll says he served in 3rd Bn Cheshire Regiment and he received QSA with Cape Colony, Orange Free State and 1902 clasp.
Problem 1. I've tried searching various ways for 3rd Cheshire's in the Boer War but no joy, can anyone help as to when they went and anything about their time in South Africa. This leads to problem 2 as his papers state he embarked for South Africa on 23.1.02 and disembarked England 3.1.02! As I'm quite new to this area of history I'm a little confused!
Can anyone help me?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Cheshire Regiment 11 years 1 month ago #8116

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Good morning,
There is no question about his service in South Africa, he has two entries in WO100, do you actually have his service papers, assume they are from WO96, can you tell us his date and place of birth?
Regards Frank

Re: Cheshire Regiment 11 years 1 month ago #8117

• abbrover
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
I have two lots of papers. WO96 shows he served with 3rd Cheshires from 1.5.00-31.12.00 and then 6.1.02-3.10.02 he then joined the Royal Lancaster Regiment. His pension papers on ancestry give the dates for embarkation to South Africa that I stated previously.
He was born in Liverpool in 1880/81

Re: Cheshire Regiment 11 years 1 month ago #8118

• JustinLDavies
  • Thank you received: 119
According to 'The Constitutional Force' by Col Geo. Jackson Hay (1907), the 3rd Battalion Cheshire Regiment:

"Volunteered for Foreign Service during the South African War, and embarked - Strength 28 Officers, 1 W.O., 575 N.C.O.'s and men, Colonel Arthur Hill, commdg. On arrival at Cape Town, Feb 11. 1902, the Battn. proceeded via Port Elizabeth to Smaldeel, Orange River Colony, and found detachments for the posts at Doorn River, Virginia and Riet Spruit. Apr.15, Battn moved to Winburg for Blockhouse duty on part of the Winburg-Smaldeel Railway, with detached posts on the kopjes overlooking the Town, viz.: Yeomans Kop, Station Kop, Wooded Kop, Kaffir Kop, and Detached Kop, Headquarters being at the Western trenches. The Battn. remained at Winburg until the conclusion of peace. Aug. 31, 9 Serjts, 6 Corpls., and 70 men received a free discharge to settle in the Country, and remainder of Battn. proceeded to Port Elizabeth and embarked for England."

Received Queen's Medal with Clasps "South Africa 1902", "Orange Free State" and "Cape Colony".

Justin

Re: Cheshire Regiment 11 years 1 month ago #8120

• abbrover
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Thank you Justin, much appreciated
Judith

Re: Cheshire Regiment 11 years 1 month ago #8121

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Hello again,
Well, I have looked in WO364, I suspect this is just a mistake, I will sit down later and go through this properly.
Regards Frank

Attachments:

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.463 seconds