Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Re: Films about the Boer War 11 years 9 months ago #4608

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
David,
I have seen a couple of the Rosenthal films, but I have to say my favourites would have to be "Breaker Morant" :woohoo: with Edward Woodward in the title role and "Rhodes" with Martin Shaw and his son both playing Cecil!
Regards Frank

No prize's for guessing what I'll be watching tonight!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Films about the Boer War 11 years 9 months ago #4609

• coldstream
  • Thank you received: 214
David

Thank you for posting this very informative thread.
I have only one more film I could add it was released in 2010 and Titled "Tracker" and started Ray Winstone, thought it was a half decent film.
Here is a brief plot summary.
An Afrikaner veteran of the Boer War has just immigrated to New Zealand and is hired to track a man accused of killing a soldier. While hunting through the countryside he captures his fugitive, only to learn that he's innocent of the crime. When faced with the life changing decision to turn him in or set him free only one man will walk away alive.

Paul
"From a billow of the rolling veldt we looked back, and black columns were coming up behind us."

Re: Films about the Boer War 11 years 9 months ago #4610

• coldstream
Frank

I have always wanted to watch this film and always look out for it in the Sky movie listings but as yet no luck.

Paul

Frank Kelley wrote: David,
I have seen a couple of the Rosenthal films, but I have to say my favourites would have to be "Breaker Morant" :woohoo: with Edward Woodward in the title role and "Rhodes" with Martin Shaw and his son both playing Cecil!
Regards Frank

"From a billow of the rolling veldt we looked back, and black columns were coming up behind us."

Re: Films about the Boer War 11 years 9 months ago #4683

• Frank Kelley
Hi Paul,
Which one are you referring to? I can make a copy of "Breaker Morant" but Rhodes is several hours long and I don't think it has been shown again on TV here since about 1996 or so, I have it on VHS!
Frank.

coldstream wrote: Frank

I have always wanted to watch this film and always look out for it in the Sky movie listings but as yet no luck.

Paul

Frank Kelley wrote: David,
Regards Frank

Re: Films about the Boer War 11 years 9 months ago #4685

• coldstream
Hi Frank

Yes it was "Breaker Morant" that I was referring to.
Always wanted to see it but not able to find a reasonably priced DVD
Would be very grateful of a copy if you have the time.

Paul :) :)

Re: Films about the Boer War 11 years 9 months ago #4686

• Frank Kelley
Paul,
Yes, I can send you a copy on DVD, I have a VHS copy from BBC1 circa early 1990's but plays well, I can copy it onto DVD, will do it tomorrow and if you send me your address I'll pop it in the post on Monday morning.
I watched this in the early 1980's, it is an Australian made film, but does look a bit like South Africa, I was little more than a boy, but I thought it was very good and this was one reason and I have the say, :blush: the main reason, I became interested in the Boer War! Australia Forever! :woohoo:
Frank.

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.459 seconds