Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

1227 Tpr H O'Hagan 1st ILH - Wounded 11 years 10 months ago #3468

• NZMR
  • NZMR's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 19
Hi,
I have the QSA to the subject member of the ILH - Hugh O'Hagan. He came from New Zealand to SA in 1899, and served with the SALH before enlisting with the 1st ILH in November 1900. He was severely wounded in late 1900/early 1901 and died on the troopship back to New Zealand in July 1901. I suspect he was wounded Jan 6 1901, when the ILH suffered relatively high casualties at Nauuwpoort (from Stirling), but I can't confirm this. As I only have Stirling's, the Colonials in South Africa to go on, I was wondering if anyone had any other publications on the ILH which may prove exactly when O'Hagan was wounded? Were there rolls of the wounded recorded anywhere for each unit?

Additionally, if anyone has a good example of a photo, or artists sketch of the ILH that would help illustrate his biography, I'd love to see it. I don't have a photo of the man himself, so it would be great to add some flavour to his story.

Kind regards
Phil Beattie
Auckland
New Zealand

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: 1227 Tpr H O'Hagan 1st ILH - Wounded 11 years 10 months ago #3470

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1879
Hello Phil.....

In the casualty list it reads as follows, note the spelling of Hagan.....

O'HAGON, H., TROOPER, 1227, TROOPER, SEVERELY WOUNDED, NAAUPORT, 05/01/01, 1 IMP LH

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

Re: 1227 Tpr H O'Hagan 1st ILH - Wounded 11 years 10 months ago #3474

• capepolice
  • Thank you received: 432
Phil,

From the publication the "History of the ILH 1899-1961" it shows that on the 05/01/1901 the ILH lost 18 Killed and 32 wounded at the farm known as Cyferfontein. There were also 7 men from the Imp Yeo killed and 7 wounded.

Adrian
Part time researcher of the Cape Police and C.P.G Regiment.

Re: 1227 Tpr H O'Hagan 1st ILH - Wounded 11 years 10 months ago #3497

• NZMR
  • NZMR's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 19
Thanks Mike and Adrian, much appreciated. So I guess Stirling was out by one day when he mentions the 6th January.

A little side story about O'Hagan - this is an anecdote written in 1901 and quoted by his mother after his death:

"At the same time 50 or 60 of the I.L.H. were laid low by the enemy’s bullets. While O’Hagan, along with the rest of the dead and wounded was lying on the ground a big Boer started to rob the helpless men. O’Hagan saw this, and, having a revolver in his possession, he fired at the Boer, and put four shots in his leg between the knee and the hip, the robber falling beside him.

In due time the wounded were removed to the Johannesburg hospital. The Boer’s leg was so badly shattered that it had to be amputated. O'Hagan's injuries affected his spine, but he was soon about again, though he was unable to straighten his back, and walked about almost doubled up. On getting about his first inquiry was as to the whereabouts of his former rival, the Boer. He soon found him, and every day O'Hagan was to be seen making his way to the wounded Boer’s tent, and quite a warm friendship sprang up between them."

Cheers
Phil

Re: 1227 Tpr H O'Hagan 1st ILH - Wounded 11 years 2 months ago #8139

• kaigs
  • Thank you received: 3
It would appear from the War Office casualty list in the Daily Express 29/11/1901 that Hugh O'Hagan died of pneumonia & debility through wounds on board the SS Brittanic.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.385 seconds