Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

What action was fought at Windsorton Road on 13 August 1901? 7 months 1 week ago #92144

• Rory
  • Rory's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2158
Below is an extract from a 24th Coy, I.Y. man who was Slightly Wounded at Windsorton Road on 13 August 1901 (according to his IY papers) - does anyone know what this action was about?

Regards

Rory
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

What action was fought at Windsorton Road on 13 August 1901? 7 months 1 week ago #92145

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1541
SAFF has no entry for 24th Coy., I.Y. (8th Bn.) on 13/8/1901. There is an entry for 24th Coy. for a "(nn) Cpl. H.T. Crosbie" who Died of Wounds at WINDERSORTON on 27th July 1901.
There is, however, an SAFF entry for one "30638 L/Cpl. S. Barnard" of 24th BATTALION IY who was slightly wounded near Windsort'nrd on 13/8/1901. Note 24th Bn., not 24th Coy.
Again according to SAFF, there was one other casualty suffered by 24 th Bn., I.Y. on that date; a Pte. C.H. Church - who was also slightly wounded.
A quick eyeball scan of the I.Y. casualties in that period does not show any other entries for Windsorton Rd or Windsort'rd .
According to Maurice (Vol.4 p.258) the location of Windsorton saw convoy activity under Major Paris and others in early August 1901.
So it appears that one of the Coy's of 24th Bn., I.Y. suffered a junior NCO and a Pte. slightly wounded (not captured, according to SAFF) at some obscure location in the OFS. Probably during a brush between patrols.
Regards
IL.

What action was fought at Windsorton Road on 13 August 1901? 7 months 1 week ago #92150

• Rory
  • Rory's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2158
Thanks IL - yes, my error, it was the 94th Company, 24 I.Y. and the chap identified in the casualty rolls was actually William Russell Barnard not "S. Barnard" as recorded (another one for Meurig Jones to note if he isn't already aware of this error on the casualty rolls).

This fellows medals should be winging their way to me as I write - interesting fellow, served first with the CIV until they were disbanded. Returned home and then came out with the 94th company.

Windsorton Road is north of Kimberley and in the Cape Colony as far as I am aware - not the Orange Free State. You are probably right about the patrol skirmish which wasn't of sufficient importance to warrant a mention in any report or media.

Regards

Rory
Attachments:

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.764 seconds