TOPIC:

Question from a novice to the forum 8 months 2 weeks ago #91676

• Wakelin2
  • Wakelin2's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
From New Zealand -
I am researching a forbear in England - George Jeffs (no 2nd given name) b Westmorland 1876, died Rotherham, Yorkshire 1932.
I have an unsourced document saying that he enlisted for Sth African service in Sheffield 4 Jan 1900 and was discharged 15 June 1901.
He served, apparently, in the 11th company, 3 Bn Yorkshire Dragoons. The document tells me he became a casualty at "Frobisher Bay" and
was discharged at "Gaspe". These two place names both in Canada (Frobisher Bay is hardly south of the Arctic Circle)
make no sense in terms of the Anglo Boer War. Were casualty and discharge places somehow secretive and disguised by such as Frobisher
Bay and Gaspe. Help, Help! Can someone enlighten me pls. (Jeffs enlistment is certainly on the level. I have a copy of his Attestation.
Many thanks

Max Lambert 5 Ngata St, Ngaio, Wellington 6035, NZ

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Question from a novice to the forum 8 months 2 weeks ago #91677

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4541
Welcome to the forum, Max.

The issue of Frobisher Bay has been discussed before ( www.angloboerwar.com/forum/11-research/3...er-bay?start=0#85836 ) and the conclusion was that this was an error by Ancestry. There was no secrecy about places as far as I know.

You say that you have his IY attestation. This is the document that provides the details in your para 2.

The IY papers are held by the National Archives in WO128. There are 165 boxes of them so it is good they are online.

He did serve in the 11th Co, 3rd Btn as you say. His QSA with clasps CC, OFS and Tr is listed on WO100/121p67. His South Africa 1901 clasp is listed on WO100/121p73

Kind regards
David
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

Question from a novice to the forum 8 months 2 weeks ago #91678

• Wakelin2
  • Wakelin2's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Thanks so much David. Appreciated.
I'll leave out any mention of Frobisher Bay and Gaspe from my story about George.
It's a sad one. He gassed himself in 1932.

Best wishes - Max

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.475 seconds