Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Privates James and Thomas Kane/Keane 59th Foot / 2nd Battalion ELR mysteries 10 months 2 weeks ago #90054

• GrahamAnstey
  • GrahamAnstey's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 2
I'm currently researching some of my ancestors who served in the 59th Foot (and later in the East Lancashire Regiment after the reorganization), and there are quite a few mysteries that I'm struggling to unravel. Thomas Keane was born "in the army" in Athlone Ireland in 1858 (I have a copy of the Army birth certificate). His birth certificate states that his parents were James Kane (The surnames Kane and Keane seem to have been used interchangeably, even within the same army form) and Marianne. There are also discrepencies of a few months between his birth date on his certificate, and that given on his attestation form. According to his marriage certificate his father was Thomas. Its possible that there is an error on the marriage certificate, and I've found no trace of a Thomas Kane (variant spellings) serving in the 59th at this time. According to his obituary, he had at least four brothers, all of whom served in the (59th) regiment. Searching through the records available online there seems to be very little available relating to this Regiment, the most detailed being the QSA Medal Rolls. But these only have Thomas and three possible brothers (Thomas's som Thomas Francis served in South Africa as a volunteer bugler). The next mystery is that during 1857/58 the 59th were stationed in Hong Kong/China, and had been for several years. So how did he come to be born in Ireland? If his mother didn't travel with them, how was he conceived? If she did travel, under what circumstances might she have been sent to Athlone? Although the Regiment had its Depot in Ireland, I can't find any evidence that it was at Athlone. For it to have been recorded as a military birth, I'm assuming he was born within the barracks.

Moving onto James (assuming he is the father), the details of his service given in Thomas's obituary don't seem to match the 59th's postings, as I can't find when they were in Egypt, and there is no mention of Hong Kong/China. I've not found a marriage between a James Kane and a Mary Anne (various combinations of spelling) on either Ancestry or FMP, even in the Army marriages records, so presume it was a 'civil' marriage. I've found a couple of close matches where the bride is named Mary, but none where the bride ins Mary Ann, Maryanne, Marianne, etc. I don't know the marriage year, but assume it was in the decade prior to 1858. Depending upon which army form you look at, James was either born in Newmarket (on-Fergus?) Co. Clare, or Kilrush Co. Clare. They are on opposite sides of the county. The regimental number on both forms is the same, so I'm as sure as I can be that they relate to the same person.

So I'm hoping that someone with more knowledge of the times, or with more research knowledge, than me can help unravel these mysteries.
Many thanks in advance.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Privates James and Thomas Kane/Keane 59th Foot / 2nd Battalion ELR mysteries 10 months 2 weeks ago #90061

• Dave F
  • Thank you received: 1175
Hello Graham
Welcome to the forum.
Do you have the service papers for Thomas Kane / Keane with reference to the newspaper article you posted? And was he married to a Mary Sark / Clarke?
Also, if James was the father of Thomas. Could James's have served in the 30th Regiment of Foot? Also could you provide the regimental service numbers you have please. Much appreciated. Let's see if we can help with your quest.

Best wishes

Dave....
You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.
Best regards,
Dave

Privates James and Thomas Kane/Keane 59th Foot / 2nd Battalion ELR mysteries 10 months 2 weeks ago #90072

• Dave F
Your attached article.
Best regards,
Dave
Attachments:

Privates James and Thomas Kane/Keane 59th Foot / 2nd Battalion ELR mysteries 10 months 2 weeks ago #90074

• GrahamAnstey
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Thomas was married to Mary Iliffe Lark (15sep1881 Alverstoke, Hampshire). He originally attested in the 59th with the number 1549. Later he joined the 2nd Volunteer Batallion East Lancs Regt as 461, and then later again in the 7th (Service) Batallion of the same as 6940. His service record is extensive and runs to about 20-odd images. I can't see how to upload them, or make them inline :( Do I have to create a new post for each page, with the image attached? His birth certificate is headed "Depot 59th Regiment of Foot".

Sorry, I'm new to this forum and it doesn't work the same as others I'm on.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave F

Privates James and Thomas Kane/Keane 59th Foot / 2nd Battalion ELR mysteries 10 months 2 weeks ago #90075

• Dave F
No need to post his attestation papers, I have them already.
I was making sure you had them all.
Service numbers will suffice.
Are we sure his father James was of Irish decent?.
Do you have James's military records?
Best regards,
Dave
The following user(s) said Thank You: GrahamAnstey

Privates James and Thomas Kane/Keane 59th Foot / 2nd Battalion ELR mysteries 10 months 2 weeks ago #90076

• GrahamAnstey
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
I don't know for definite that he was of Irish decent, but family lore says they were Irish. I only found one other possible match for James, and that was one born in Auchtemutty, Scotland, but other details didn't fit at all, him apparently being born around 1802. I've not been able to track James's records down, except for his discharge papers dated September 1868. There's quite a lot of writing on his "Description" page that I have been unable to decypher, but it appears to be a series of army reference numbers. I've been able to make out the word "Widow" on a couple of the lines, but can't work out the context for these.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.460 seconds