Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Durban Light Infantry - did attestation papers survive? 1 year 1 month ago #88317

• Mr Mouse
  • Mr Mouse's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 12
Does anyone know if attestation papers survive for DLI soldiers? I'm trying to find out about a Sergt A.D.Buchanan.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Durban Light Infantry - did attestation papers survive? 1 year 1 month ago #88318

• Neville_C
  • Thank you received: 1900
Medal rolls show that his service number was 739, and he was entitled to the QSA with clasps for Transvaal and Relief of Ladysmith. He later transferred from the Durban Light Infantry to the Natal Volunteer Composite Regiment where he served as as No. 4 Signal Sergeant-Major A.D. Buchanan. Off that roll he was entitled to the KSA with clasps for South Africa 1901 and South Africa 1902.

But you are probably already aware of all of the above.

I'm afraid I don't have access to service records for the Durban Light Infantry. Maybe someone else on the forum can help with that.

Durban Light Infantry - did attestation papers survive? 1 year 1 month ago #88336

• Neville_C
  • Thank you received: 1900
These two pages from the "Natal Volunteer Record", Durban, 1900, show that Buchanan was a signaller....

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mr Mouse

Durban Light Infantry - did attestation papers survive? 1 year 1 month ago #88338

• Mr Mouse
Thanks Neville_C...yes I already had that information but thankyou for the document extracts, they are always useful to have in the reasearch file. I appreciate it.

I wondered if the Durban LI museum would have attestation docs but understood that it may have recently closed. Not sure whether they do have them of whether they are stored (if they exist) elsewhere.

Durban Light Infantry - did attestation papers survive? 1 year 1 month ago #88339

• Rory
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 2120
There are no surviving attestation papers to any of the Durban regiments. To add to the problem it is my understanding that most if the muster rolls for the DLI were destroyed in a fire at their HQ many years ago

Durban Light Infantry - did attestation papers survive? 1 year 1 month ago #88344

• Mr Mouse
That's a shame...do you know if anything similar exists for the Natal Volunteer Composite Regiment?

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.728 seconds