Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

John Gray of the SALH? SAC? Help needed. 1 year 5 months ago #86583

• Smethwick
  • Smethwick's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 820
The Smethwick Telephone of Saturday 8th December 1900 carried the following short report:

“Mr. John Gray, of High Street, has been accepted as a member of the South African Light Horse. He has answered to the call for men in this corps and sails today. Mr Gray, who is the only representative from Birmingham and District, was formerly a member of Smethwick Volunteers.”

John Gray definitely was a member of the Smethwick Volunteers as he is listed on the memorial in the then Town Hall celebrating the 26 members of the Smethwick Volunteers who “took active service in the Transvaal War, Oct 11th 1899 – 31st May 1902”.

I have identified him on census returns – 1881 at 4 months old living in a “Corn Factors Shop” in Oldbury Road, Smethwick. By 1891 both his parents had died and he was living at the same address with his married sister and her husband who had taken over the Corn Factor’s Shop. Both these census returns tell us that John was born in Smethwick, where he was also baptised on 29 December 1880. John cannot be found on the 1901 census but his sister and husband can, now living on the High Street. So that looks like game set and match.

John does not seem to have returned to Smethwick and in 1911 was not living with his now widowed brother-in-law who seems to have come down in the world as he was working as a “Corporation Foreman” and living in Rosefield Road, Smethwick – digressing, 40 years later I had mates who lived in Rosefield Road.

The problem with John being recruited into the SALH in the UK is that from what I have read they never did this and in fact were overrun with applicants back in SA. However, I believe the SAC did recruit in the UK and, from past experience, the Smethwick Telephone was not always entirely accurate in its reports.

Looking at medal rolls I can identify 2 J Gray’s who served in the SALH and 2 who served in the SAC.

SALH (WO 100/275)

1567 Trooper J Gray, QSA with only 1901 date clasp

44020 Trooper J Gray, QSA with only 1902 date clasp

I think I can rule these two out as my man.

1567 - In the left hand (“to be left blank”) column is an address for Cramington in Northumberland. There is no Cramington in Northumberland but there is a Cramlington whose census returns allow me to identify a John Gray who lived there, he was the son of a “coal hewer” but he was present on the 1901 census (aged 19). Doing a name search on the ABW Forum site tells me 1567 Trooper T Gray was discharged from the SALH on 25 Feb 1901 – which gave him time to sail back to Cramlington for the census enumerator to take his name. By 1911 he was working as a “Reading Room Caretaker” in Cramlington. So 1567 is definitely not my man.

44020 – not earning a 1901 clasp makes him unlikely and the medal roll showing his State clasps has him as Jas Gray. The name search on the ABW Forum site does not recognise a 44020 Gray. I don’t think this is my man either but not quite as certain as with 1567.

“A” Division SAC (WO 100/271)

1054 Corporal J Gray, QSA with 1901 & 1902 date clasps

1670 Trooper J Gray, QSA with 1901 & 1902 date clasps

The name search facility on the ABW Forum website does not recognise either.

So my question is – is it possible to find the attestation papers/service records for men who served in the SALH and/or SAC?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moranthorse1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

John Gray of the SALH? SAC? Help needed. 1 year 5 months ago #86584

• Dave F
  • Thank you received: 1175
Hi David

Here is another contender.
QSA , Orange Free State, Cape Colony, Transvaal, plus both date clasps.

Dave......
You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.
Best regards,
Dave
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Smethwick

John Gray of the SALH? SAC? Help needed. 1 year 5 months ago #86585

• Moranthorse1
  • Thank you received: 755
Hi David,
djb kindly raised attestation papers for Corporal John Spottiswoode Eustace of the SALH for me around twelve months ago. Which was very fortunate for me because it gave the middle name of Spottiswoode which led me on a journey of discovery around the Irish Ascendancy.
I digress, maybe David could turn something up?
Cheers Steve

John Gray of the SALH? SAC? Help needed. 1 year 5 months ago #86587

• Rory
  • Thank you received: 2148
Hi David

These are the only John Gray's that served with the SAC - see below - there is one born in 1880 who could tally with your man.

Attachments:

John Gray of the SALH? SAC? Help needed. 1 year 5 months ago #86588

• Rory
  • Thank you received: 2148
Here is a condensed version off his record - his SAC file is available in Pretoria - you would need a researcher to copy it for you.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave F, Moranthorse1, Smethwick

John Gray of the SALH? SAC? Help needed. 1 year 5 months ago #86589

• capepolice
  • Thank you received: 432
Here are the SALH papers and it looks as if the men you mentioned below,

1567 Trooper J Gray, QSA with only 1901 date clasp ----is actually Thomas Gray

44020 Trooper J Gray, QSA with only 1902 date clasp----Is actually James Gray

Regards
Part time researcher of the Cape Police and C.P.G Regiment.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moranthorse1, Smethwick

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.775 seconds