Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Ladysmith Town Guard - lists of members 1 year 6 months ago #85483

• Rory
  • Rory's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2121
I am away from my books and would very much appreciate someone posting the relevant pages here. What am I looking for? I think it was GW Lines that published the names (lists) of all those who served in the various entities which comprised the LTG - namely the LTG itself, NGR Rifle Association and the Klip River RA.

Much obliged in anticipation.

Regards

Rory

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Ladysmith Town Guard - lists of members 1 year 6 months ago #85484

• Neville_C
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 1903
Rory,

This is the list as published by G.W. Lines ....
I hope it is what you are looking for

Neville

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb, Rory, crypt

Ladysmith Town Guard - lists of members 1 year 6 months ago #85485

• Rory
That's the one! Thank you Neville

Ladysmith Town Guard - lists of members 1 year 6 months ago #85489

• crypt
  • Thank you received: 179
Thank you Neville, just seen my medal to Francis Binnie, and that he was the sub leader in the unit, a fact I never knew.
Jon,

Ladysmith Town Guard - lists of members 1 year 6 months ago #85524

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500
For future reference, the information is also available on the Ladysmith TG page: www.angloboerwar.com/unit-information/to...ladysmith-town-guard
Dr David Biggins

Ladysmith Town Guard - lists of members 1 year 6 months ago #85531

• Rory
Having now (almost) mastered the art of using the Paint option on my PC, I have indicated, with arrows, all the men whose QSA's (and in some instances other medals) reside in my collection. The medal to William Thomson was also at one stage mine but I passed it on to the late Keith Sparrow.

A couple of what I thought were interesting points:

- Edward Alfred Taylor Bottomley - subject of a very recent post of mine - served with the M.I. (Rifle Brigade) in Rhodesia 1896 before settling in Ladysmith - was a Bridge Guard with the N.G.R. Rifle Association and was declared insane in March 1900. After recovering he was a Sgt. Major with the Cape Colony Cyclist Corps

- Frank Davenport would have been the manager of the Natal Bank Ladysmith branch when Bottomley's cheque was cashed in March 1900. He was also an 1890 Rhodesian Pioneer but remained at Fort Tuli and wasn't eligible for the BSAC medal.

- Henry Crouch's QSA is a double issue - one to the LTG and another to the NGR (Blacksmith) - he also has the SAGS to the PMB Rifles so he would have known Harburn in PMB before they both moved to Ladysmith.

- Charles Richard Harburn is highlighted but, in his case, I only have the SAGS (PMB Rifles) to him - I don't know if his QSA is extant.

- Henry Charles Lloyd has a QSA and a 1906 Bambatha

- Louis Haden was one of the youngest (if not the youngest) member of the LTG - his family still live in Ladysmith to this day - his mother kept a boarding house where a number of the Imperial Officers stayed. His group is a long one - QSA/Bambatha/WWI trio 1902 Coro

- Charles James Jones was a legend in Ladysmith - he owned both the Crown and the famous Royal Hotel at the time of the siege. He was also a Lieutenant in the Newcastle Mounted Rifles in the AZW - whereabouts of this medal unknown - he is a Sgt. on the QSA, an unusual rank to a Ward Leader. He was also a Mayor of Ladysmith among other civic roles he fulfilled. He would have known and rubbed shoulders with most of the top brass during the siege and would have known Dr. Stark who was killed by a shell on the pavement outside his Royal Hotel.

- Rupert Augustus Lacy Brandon - this fellow was a luminary in civic circles in Ladysmith and an important official (Town Clerk?) at the time of the siege - I don't have his medal BUT, I do have the 1906 Bambatha to his brother Frederick James Thomas Brandon who was convicted and sentenced as a Natal Rebel (who fought for the Boers) at the same time his brother was shut up in Ladysmith...

Regards

Rory
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Neville_C

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.991 seconds