TOPIC:

57th Company 15th Battalion 1 year 7 months ago #85457

• Henred
  • Henred's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
57th Company 15th Battalion
Does anyone have any information about Lane Fox's Horse Imperial Yeomanry company?
What battles did they fight?
Where were they stationed in South Africa?
They arrived on the Tagus in February 1900.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

57th Company 15th Battalion 1 year 7 months ago #85465

• Adrian123456
  • Thank you received: 245
Hi Henred

I have a presentation pocket watch given to Trooper George Lovering of the Wharfedale Yeomanry from Captain Lane-Fox.
The accompanying paperwork states that it was given to Trooper Lovering for saving the life of Captain Lane Fox.
There is also several newspaper articles that describe actions at Lindley prior to 29th June .
He mentions a column of the Berkshire 58th Squadron, and General Paget.
I will look in "With Paget's Horse to the Front" by Rose-Innes

Lovering's QSA has clasps CC, Wittebergen, Transvaal, SA01, SA 02

Lovering was wounded at Bethlehem on 13 July 1900. A perusal of the roll at W)100/ 126 show that most men were awarded these clasps, with some receiving the OFS clasp instead of the Wittebergen Clasp.

Regards

Adrian
The following user(s) said Thank You: Henred

57th Company 15th Battalion 1 year 7 months ago #85466

• Smethwick
  • Thank you received: 820
One of my 200+ Smethwickians served in the 57th Coy 15th Btn IY. I found his service record for the IY and his medal roll for the IY and his subsequent service in the SAC on Ancestry.

I still have him under investigation but here are my notes on him:

Charles Henry Colley – born in Smethwick Q2 1880 – mother a Smethwick lass but Father from Cotswolds. 10 months later family living in Alderton where father was born. By 1891 census living in Hampton in Ardern. 1911 census shows Charles was to be the eldest of 7 children born over 20 years with another 3 who died in infancy.

On 2nd February 1900 he attested in Buckingham and joined 57th Company (Buckinghamshire) Imperial Yeomanry on a one year short service commission – a volunteer. Service number 10411.

On 16th March 1900 he sailed for SA arriving on 9th April. He left for England on 3rd June 1901 and was discharged from the army 28 days later.

By 1902 he was back in South Africa and joined “A” Division South African Constabulary from 10th March 1902 to 20th April 1903. Service number 2262.

Electoral Roll & Kelly’s directory show a Charles Henry Colley living in Solihull adjoining Birmingham.

1939 Register shows a Charles Henry Colley born 28th May 1880 living in Chessetts Wood Road, Solihull – retired from Prison Service where he had held the post of Assistant Director of Public Security. Married to a retired nurse.

31st December 1963 – died in Solihull Hospital, living at 34 School Lane, Solihull.

Issued incorrectly with KSA which he returned. Received QSA – with Wittebergen, Cape Colony, Transvaal & South Africa 1901 clasps for service in the IY. South Africa 1902 clasp added for service in SAC.

The Wittebergen Clasp indicates he was involved in the actions in the Brandwater Basin in July 1900 which led to the Boer General Prinsloo surrendering with 4,000 men. Have just re-read one account of these actions and the Imperial Yeomanry do not get a mention but several mentions of the Mounted Infantry.

57th Company 15th Battalion 1 year 7 months ago #85473

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1537
Henred
As far as I know, there is no specific history concerning the contingents of the 57th Coy., Imperial Yeomanry. Nor, for that matter, for the 15th Bn., I.Y. The medal roll for the 57th Coy., I.Y. (WO100/126) shows Capt. F. Lane-Fox as entitled to clasps "Cape Colony", "Orange Free State" and "South Africa 1901" and there is a marginal endorsement that he served with the "old Yeomanry)"; i.e., the first contingent. Capt. Lane-Fox's entry in "Boer War Services of Officers" confirms his time in SA (1900-1901) and three clasps and also shows him as having the rank of Honorary Captain in the Army and lately in the militia - presumably after the war.
Researching the activities of the 57th Coy., I.Y., or any IY Coy. for that matter, can be difficult and time consuming Sometimes the Coys. acted as part of the Battalion and sometimes alone. A place to start, however, is in the relevant pages of the SAFF Casualty roll; which generally shows the date and place of field casualties. Unfortunately, any entries for the 57th Coy. I.Y. are shown as part of the 15th I.Y. Bn. - but, using the medal roll against the SAFF entries - members of the 57th Coy., I.Y. could be isolated. Thus, a rough idea of the trekking of the 57th Coy. can be had.
Now, most of the above is a lot of work - and I have followed that path in researching the medals of I.Y. chaps in my collection. Not to any startling conclusion - but to my satisfaction as a medal collector. Deeper research about the 57th Coy. or the 15th Bn., I.Y. can be conducted in The Times History (Amery) or the Official History (Maurice). Both accessible in the Books section of this site. An excellent account of the formation of the Imperial Yeomanry and the later contingents may be found in "Absent Minded Beggars" by Will Bennett.
Good luck with your quest and the book about the Officer's Servant/batman.
Regards
IL.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.390 seconds