Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Researching a Medico in the Boer War - Thomas Bonner Garvie 1 year 8 months ago #84694

• Rory
  • Rory's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2142
I have, courtesy of Spink, taken possession of a trio of medals (QSA/KSA/BWM) to Civil Surgeon Thomas Bonnar Garvie - there are 5 medal rolls to the man - two of which give an indication of where he served (the QSA has clasps CC/OFS/TVL) - these were the 11 General Hospital (which I understand to be Kimberley) and Schmidt's Drift, about 40 miles west of Kimberley (the medal roll was signed here)

Is there any way to determine where and when a Doctor served? Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Rory

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Researching a Medico in the Boer War - Thomas Bonner Garvie 1 year 8 months ago #84701

• capepolice
  • Thank you received: 432
Rory,

Found this snippet amongst a few things

It is a bit bleak but shows the single BWM as being issued for service in the Union
Part time researcher of the Cape Police and C.P.G Regiment.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rory

Researching a Medico in the Boer War - Thomas Bonner Garvie 1 year 8 months ago #84703

• Rory
  • Rory's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2142
Thank you Adrian - I was required to go to great lengths to explain to a chap on another forum that Garvie only qualified for the BWM.....

Regards

Rory

Researching a Medico in the Boer War - Thomas Bonner Garvie 1 year 8 months ago #84705

• capepolice
  • Thank you received: 432
Hello Rory,

I know but sadly I could not get the photo to enlarge to a decent size when trying to post it there. I wanted to supply you with a bit of ammo.

Stay well

Cheers
Part time researcher of the Cape Police and C.P.G Regiment.

Researching a Medico in the Boer War - Thomas Bonner Garvie 1 year 8 months ago #84707

• Dave F
  • Thank you received: 1175
Hi Rory

I couldn't find a definitive list regarding the 500 plus Civil Surgeon's who served during the conflict. As you mentioned, the medal rolls can sometimes provide information on the field hospitals. I have enclosed a few snippets that may help reference the Wellcome website. Also a couple of items related to Thomas. No doubt, with your meticulous research you probably have them already.

Best regards

Dave.....

You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.
Best regards,
Dave

Researching a Medico in the Boer War - Thomas Bonner Garvie 1 year 8 months ago #84709

• Smethwick
  • Thank you received: 820
As Dave F shows Thomas Bonnar Garvie qualified as a Doctor at Glasgow University. In 1898 he was the victim of what appears to be an ill conceived prank by his fellow medical students. Thomas did not see the funny side, and I don't blame him, and took action against the perpetrators on the grounds of assault. Reports can be found in the Glasgow newspapers. But as Dave says you have probably already discovered this.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 1.370 seconds