Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Boer photographers? 1 year 9 months ago #83962

• Rob D
  • Rob D's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 722
Is there an article available about the prolific photographers who wandered about taking photos to sell as souveniers?
I know of van Hoepen, van Nes, the Lund Brothers, and one who just put an S on his photos.
Sister Izedinova of the Russian ambulance noted they were ‘making a good living… The agents of these photographers travel around the main Boer positions and their laagers, with the permission of the Government, taking pictures of anything more or less interesting… These photographs adorn the windows of bookshops in their hundreds and sell quickly in spite of their relatively high price -- a rouble each.’ A rouble was worth more than a shilling. (Izedinova "A Few Months With The Boers" pp. 222-223)
The past is not dead. In fact, it's not even past.
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Boer photographers? 1 year 9 months ago #83973

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500
Rob,

I have seen very little on these photographers.

There seem to have survived few of the photographs they must have take n during their time which is a great loss as we have a mainly one-sided view.

Van Hoepen was definitely in Mafeking. One picture of the Boer laager is marked 'Van Hoepen, Pretoria'. A picture of the Nordenfeldt at Mafeking is signed VanH in the left corner but the corner os obstructed by a picture mount.

The famous picture of the line of Boers reportedly taken at Mafeking is signed 'N.P.E.'

A picture of the Transvaal Artillery has this mark in the bottom left corner:

Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.413 seconds