TOPIC:

Lt. H C H W Moffat 2 years 2 months ago #81736

• Crumlin
  • Crumlin's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 1
Hi,
I am just finishing my research on the above who served with 2nd Batt. South Wales Borderers in the Boer War. I think I have found just about everything I can about him. He arrived with a draft at Vredfort Road in June 1900 and left from Cape Town on august 12th 1902.
However he was slightly wounded at Buffelsdoorn Pass 1/12/1900 while attached to the 4th Battalion Railway Pioneer Reg. and wondered if anyone knows anything about this unit or the action.
Also during my research I found an interesting article about his being wounded in a South Wales paper ( possibly a Cardiff one ) and now cannot find it anywhere either on the net or on newspapers section of Findmypast. Its driving me crazy as I know i saw it but stupidly did not print it at the time. Any ideas?
Many thanks,
Dave

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Lt. H C H W Moffat 2 years 2 months ago #81738

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1537
Dave
Your post appeared under the heading for "The Frontier Wars 1779-1879". I have suggested to DJB that it be moved to the category "Research".
You probably already have the info in the attached cut from "Boer War Services of Officers" - but just in case, here goes:

According to the SAFF Casualty list, Lt. H.C.H. Moffat was the only casualty suffered by SWB at Buffelsdoorn Pass on 1/12/1900 so it was likely to have been a minor action (except to the person concerned, of course). RPR similarly has no entry for that date/place. Stirling's "The Colonials in South Africa" tells us that the 4th Bn., Railway Pioneer Regt. "was formed before the close of the war" and it appears as an entity in the SAFF CL from Feb. 1901 onwards. Stirling's "Colonials ..."gives a reasonable rendition of the RPR's general operations and is worth a read.
Only generalisations, I fear. Perhaps a regimental history of SWB might give you more.
Regards
IL.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb, Anomalocaris

Lt. H C H W Moffat 2 years 2 months ago #81757

• Crumlin
  • Crumlin's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 1
Thanks very much. He was obviously more of an organiser. Staff/provost Marshall in the War.
Dave

Lt. H C H W Moffat 2 years 2 months ago #81760

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4519
Crumlin,

He is possibly mentioned in Romer's book ( www.angloboerwar.com/books/77-romer-the-...ip-river-the-losberg ):

(p. 176) On the 23rd, the march took us up again through Orange Grove and on past Leeuwport Nek, moving along the south side of the main ridge of the Gatsrand, with three companies making the best of their way along their jagged peaks. Two of Roberts' Horse were hit on this march, one being killed.

The column reached Buffelsdoorn Pass on the 24th, after a spirited rearguard action, the brunt of which fell on the South Wales Borderers, who had several men and one officer hit. We remained in this pass for some days, sending out small expeditions among the adjacent hills, and erecting fortifications to cover the defile. It was in its way an important place, being within a few miles of Wolverdiend Station, and providing an excellent door through the rocky, serrated peaks of the Gatsrand into the broad plain which lay between them and the Vaal. Our camp was situated just on the north side of the pass, in a picturesque place, with easy access to the railway, and from a tactical point of view an excellent position.

There are few other mentions of Buffelsdoorn Pass in Maurice and the Times History. If you use the search bar in the top right and enter "Buffelsdoorn Pass", you can see these.

Best wishes
David
Dr David Biggins

Lt. H C H W Moffat 2 years 2 months ago #81761

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Crumlin,

Do you have a copy of his MIC? The National Archives hold his officers' papers in WO 374/48269.
Dr David Biggins

Lt. H C H W Moffat 2 years 2 months ago #81762

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Dave,

Did you buy his trio when they were sold?

Described as:

WW1 medal trio, IMO very fine condition, minimal wear, 1914 star (Old copy possibly erased), British war medal and Victory medal, official impressed "Capt. H. C. H. W. Moffat.", very fine condition.H. C. H. W. Moffat is shown in the November 1914 Army List as the Staff Captain No. 9 District Eastern Command (Late A Motor Reserve). In the March 1915 list he is still shown as Staff Captain No. 9 District having been granted a Temporary-Majority on 5 October 1914. In the August 1916 list he is shown as Assistant Provost Marshall and from April 1917 until December 1918 he is shown as Deputy Provost Marshall, Western Command, Chester.Sussex (Retired Army Lieutenant)
Dr David Biggins

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.495 seconds