Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Was there a Rufus Ross in F Squadron of Thorneycroft's Mounted Infantry in 1899 2 years 8 months ago #78223

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1537
Felix C
The date I mentioned (8/1/1900) means 8th January, 1900. Unbuttoned does show TMI men and which companies they served with. In the case of TMI on Spion Kop, for example, it is unfortunately not now possible to say that because a chap served in - say - B Coy., - and was an SK casualty, that B Coy. was present as a whole.
Regards
IL.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Felix C

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Was there a Rufus Ross in F Squadron of Thorneycroft's Mounted Infantry in 1899 2 years 8 months ago #78224

• Felix C
  • Felix C's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 2
Thanks LinneyL and have to LOL. I thought only the USA used the day month year format with slashes and europeans used month day year with decimal point format. Do not know about the rest of the world.
Explains why Charles Messenge in his bio of Crozier did not mention the tentmates referred to in Angels on Horseback.

Was there a Rufus Ross in F Squadron of Thorneycroft's Mounted Infantry in 1899 2 years 8 months ago #78225

• Felix C
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Thanks Dave. I guess it is a fabrication or pseudonym.

Appreciate the work everyone has done in responding to the inquiry, I liked Crozier in the three books I have read and found the RR character very interesting. I research the Spanish war in Cuba and have taken to looking at corresponding irregular warfare in other theaters. .

Was there a Rufus Ross in F Squadron of Thorneycroft's Mounted Infantry in 1899 2 years 8 months ago #78226

• Felix C
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Crozier also mentions the summary execution of a British trooper for the rape of a Boer women. (said trooper was accompanied by a black man as well) The fellow's name is provided. He is from the Intelligence Dept. IIRC. Wonder if that was a fabrication. I will look it up and post it here. Ex-TMI then went to the Intelligence Branch.

Was there a Rufus Ross in F Squadron of Thorneycroft's Mounted Infantry in 1899 2 years 7 months ago #78353

• Felix C
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Hello Everyone,

To update this thread, ILL copy of Impressions and Recollections arrived and going by page 50. The possible candidate is W.C.N. Hastings, (WILFRED CHARLES NORRINGTON HASTINGS) mentioned on page. 50 once Crozier leaves the TMI for the Middlesex Regiment during the Boer War. Reason being he mentions "..perhaps the best practical soldier that the battalion possessed at the moment." Hastings was a Milita captain who had served in the Sierra Leone Frontier Police. which align with what is mention in Angels on Horseback and Hastings never was part of the TMI. A fictional character then to further the story.

Also it maybe Crozier took from Dan Driscoll, of Driscoll's Scouts. He was a Burma Territorials officer who was snubbed upon arrival in South Africa, Enlisted and rose to raise his own unit, Driscoll's Scouts of which he was the Lt.-Col.

Attributes from both gentlemen above feature in the RR character.

Was there a Rufus Ross in F Squadron of Thorneycroft's Mounted Infantry in 1899 2 years 7 months ago #78355

• Felix C
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
BTW, Dan Driscoll's descendants have an interesting page on him:
www.nigeldriscoll.com.au/24.htm

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.433 seconds