Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Was there a Rufus Ross in F Squadron of Thorneycroft's Mounted Infantry in 1899 2 years 7 months ago #78197

• Felix C
  • Felix C's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 2
thru mid-1900?

Frank P. Crozier in his Angels on Horseback writes quite a bit regarding his tentmate RR. Apparently a UK militia officer who had already served Niger and Cuba. Since Crozier mentions tentmate Corbett who was killed late in 1900 and Squadron Co. Mann who was killed earlier in 1900. Wondering if RR is the correct name. Or does anyone have the roster for F Squadron from 1899 to mid 1900 as RR voluntarily requested a discharge to take up duties as a commissioned officer in the Cape region. Apparently RR was promoted to Sergeant while in the TMI.
Well, that is all I have.
Thorneycroft's Unbuttoned is not available in any U.S. library and do not see any copies for sale. I searched here in the TMI roster and do not see a RR.

Thanks in advance for all of the replies.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Was there a Rufus Ross in F Squadron of Thorneycroft's Mounted Infantry in 1899 2 years 7 months ago #78198

• LinneyI
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 1527
Felix C
Welcome to the Forum. Thorneycroft's Unbuttoned (Robin Droogleever) lists "Ross, Rufus" with your Crozier reference and notes that Rufus Ross is not on the rolls. I know of no "roster" for F Sqn., TMI (I presume you mean a duty roster). A lot of collectors would be delighted if such did exist! Assuming that R.Ross was a British militia officer who had already served in Niger and Cuba (???), I checked "Boer War services of British Officers" But no luck. Droogleever does note that Rufus Ross apparently served in TMI from 8/1/00 - ????
Regards
IL.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Felix C

Was there a Rufus Ross in F Squadron of Thorneycroft's Mounted Infantry in 1899 2 years 7 months ago #78207

• Felix C
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Hello and thank you.

I read his Five Years Hard regarding service in the WFF and where names are mentioned they match existing records of fellow officers. I guess either RR is a pseudonym or worse a fictional creation. I was intrigued due to the Cuba comment and thought he may have been an observer. It was not recorded if he was on the Spanish side(hostilities commenced in 1895) or the short lived American involvement in 1898. In retrospect some of the dialogue does read as fictional and constructed some time later and wise to events.

When I mean roster, I recently read a few U.S. regimental histories where they were involved in the Philippines 1899-1902 and they listed the men assigned to each lettered companies so thought the Droogleever book might indicate men by squadron.

I ILLd his earlier memoir "Impressions and Recollections" and will see what is stated there.

Interesting there was a RR in the TMI commencing on August 1, 1900 as that would be around the date Crozier mentions his colleague left the unit for service as an officer in/with a Cape unit. Mounted irregulars the latter and he rose to a colonelcy. Scoff if you will as I immediately thought if the dates were transposed on that entry somewhere and 100+ years later ended up as final fact.

BTW, the Corbett accurately named is W.C. Corbett KIA 06 Sep 1900 at Rooi Kop. Apparently an American serving in the TMI per Crozier. Wonder if Droogleever's book has any further information.

Was there a Rufus Ross in F Squadron of Thorneycroft's Mounted Infantry in 1899 2 years 7 months ago #78213

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500
Felix,

I looked through the attestation papers in WO126 for the TMI. There are several men of this surname but not your man:

Alexander Ross
Charles Robert Ross
James Ross
James Henry Ross
Dr David Biggins

Was there a Rufus Ross in F Squadron of Thorneycroft's Mounted Infantry in 1899 2 years 7 months ago #78220

• Felix C
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Thanks Again.
Well no loss trying and useful information gained and good folks met.

Was there a Rufus Ross in F Squadron of Thorneycroft's Mounted Infantry in 1899 2 years 7 months ago #78222

• Dave F
  • Thank you received: 1165
Felix C
Welcome to the forum.

Ross Alexander 4656 Corporal Source: Nominal roll in WO127

Ross Charles Robert 4278 Trooper Transferred to Railway 17 Oct 1900 Source: Nominal roll in WO127

Ross G O 9710 Private Wounded at Spion Kop. 24 Jan 1900. Source: Natal Field Force Casualty Roll, page 233 line 47

Ross James 3010 Corporal Discharged 6 Dec 1900 at own request Source: Nominal roll in WO127

Ross James Henry 6644 Trooper Discharged 23 Jul 1900 at own request Source: Nominal roll in WO127

Ross Lieutenant Severely wounded. Landerspruit Drift, 16 November 1900 Source: South African Field Force Casualty Roll

I could only find 4 of the above in the TMI medal rolls.

You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.
Best regards,
Dave
Attachments:

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.607 seconds