Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

43 and 44 Coy, 12 Bn, Imperial Yeomanry in Norwich, January 1900 3 years 1 month ago #74893

• rob carman
  • rob carman's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 38
Good afternoon,

I would be very thankful for help with a bit of research I am stuck on.

I recently bought a photograph labelled “Boer War Soldiers” by the seller. It shows a group of soldiers in Norwich “outside the Cathedral” but to me it looks more like the Volunteer’s Chapelfield Drill Hall or (why not) the Barracks Street Horse Barracks aka Nelson Barracks? But on 27 Jan 1900 there was a joint Volunteer and Yeomanry service at the Cathedral so maybe.

This looks a yeomanry group; everybody is wearing spurs. Yeomen and Volunteers were recruited and trained in Norwich 1 January and 30 January 1900 and based on local reports, I favour the last week as the most likely date for the photograph

If Yeomen, I think the men must be from either 43 or 44 Coy, 12 Bn IY. I have a history of the Norfolk Yeomanry which shows the officers of both companies (attached) and the rosters of the 4 troops in 43 Coy. Altogether, I think this image shows Lt JM Wilson (Norfolk Militia Artillery) and the Bn CO, Capt CB Rickards (late Lt, Royal Munster Fusiliers) and a troop from 44 Coy. Do you think Wilson and Rickards are matches for the officers in the cathedral image?

In a non-ABC list of 44 Coy’s officers, Wilson is listed second among the Lts, so perhaps its 2 Troop, 43 Coy, 12 Bn. I think their kit looks too fresh for this to be a returning unit. So an early ABW photo rather than a later date.

From the writing on the reverse, I think this was published in a newspaper from Norwich or possibly Diss on 29 May 1957.

The writing also mentions a name “Mr B…” but it is unclear. It may be a red herring but B men in 43 Coy were Baker, Ballam, Barnes, Barry, Battram, Beck, Beechy, Bishop, Bloomfield, Blyth, Bostock, Braney, and Bray. In 44 Coy the B men were: Bailey, Baldwin, Barber, Ballance, Barnard, Barnes, Bell. Besant, Blair, Bocock, Boswell, Bragg, Branford, Bruce, Buck, Butler, Buxton. Does anybody see a better match than Bostock (43 Coy!)?

I am hoping for help with any possible 1900 or 1957 newspaper story that featured this image to support or refute my conjectures. Please can you help?

Rob.

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

43 and 44 Coy, 12 Bn, Imperial Yeomanry in Norwich, January 1900 3 years 1 month ago #74898

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500
Rob,

You have already made a lot of progress with this photo.

I will check the newspapers I have access to this weekend and come back to you.

Best wishes
David
Dr David Biggins

43 and 44 Coy, 12 Bn, Imperial Yeomanry in Norwich, January 1900 3 years 5 days ago #75498

• rob carman
  • rob carman's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 38
bump

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.576 seconds