• Page:

TOPIC:

Research - A soldiers transfer & court marshal 3 years 2 months ago #74816

• DavidCL
  • DavidCL's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi there, I hope some one could advise me on some research I am looking into. I’m quite a novice when it comes to it.

I am currently looking into Gunner E “Edward” Mulroney 89415. I have found found his short service paperwork, which leads me on to my two questions.

His qsa, and medal rolls state him being with the 73rd battery RFA. However on is short short service records it mentions being with the 79th battery from 91 to 98. Transferring to the reserves only to be recalled 7/10/99, he then served in SA till 8/02. Unlike the rest of his records this period does not mention a unit or a “” under the 79th only 4th depot. He is also listed on the transfers back to reserves as the 73rd battery to 4th depot on July 03.

1 - upon returning from the 1st class reserves would he be reattached to new unit or could this be an error? And would there be any evidence of this?

2 - there is also mention of him going to trial and being demoted from bomber to driver. I am unsure but is there anyway of finding out why?

I hope this makes sense, any advice or tips would be greatly
Appreciated

Thanks
David
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Research - A soldiers transfer & court marshal 3 years 2 months ago #74817

• Dave F
  • Thank you received: 1175
Hi David
Welcome to the forum.
Just had a look at his medal roll, on his QSA he is a gunner. ( 3 clasps Orange Free State, Tugela Heights & Relief of Ladysmith )
His KSA has him as a Driver. His discharge to army reserve has the date 1st of December 1903.
All the paper work on Ancestry records him as 89415 .
73rd Battery Royal Field Artillery.
You are certainly in the right place for information, I am sure there will be other members who will shine some light on his service and court martial.
regards
Dave
You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.
Best regards,
Dave

Research - A soldiers transfer & court marshal 3 years 2 months ago #74821

• DavidCL
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Thanks. Hopefully there will be some information out there. He seems to be bouncing around with the ranks, he’s listed as a gunner on his transfer back to reserves.

Thanks again for having a look.

Research - A soldiers transfer & court marshal 3 years 2 months ago #74891

• Dave F
  • Thank you received: 1175
Hi David
I have had a look at some of my Boer War Artillery QSA recipients paperwork. It looks like it was very common to switch between batteries or be on the book for one section but serving in another. It maybe that a man could have been sick or on leave or even be in the glass house for some misdemeanor . But when he returned to duty his unit or battery may have moved on. He would then be attached to another battery or depot which needed the extra resources.
I have an Artillery man who's medal roll and medals are attributed to the 66th battery RFA. However his paperwork has him serving in the 77th, 19th, 66th and 3rd Depot Battery.

Regards
Dave

PS If you could upload the details pertaining to his court martial and brief attestation, the Forum members may be able to help out.
You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.
Best regards,
Dave
The following user(s) said Thank You: DavidCL

Research - A soldiers transfer & court marshal 3 years 2 months ago #74906

• DavidCL
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Thanks again for looking, I was wondering if they did move about when over there. Just unsure as no notes on his service records for this. Regarding his court marshal the only information I have are listed on his papers.

Served with the 79th - Commited crime & awaiting trial 14/5/98
Tried and reduced to driver 21.5.98
Not sure if there would be any more information but any would be great.

Regards

DCL
Attachments:

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.568 seconds