TOPIC:

W.Stapelberg. 3 years 2 months ago #74563

• cybertyke
  • cybertyke's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello,
I am new to this forum so not sure if I'm posting this in the correct area. Apologies if not!!
I am trying to research an S.A. soldier - W.Stapelberg. I know very little other than in March 1915 he was apparently Kapt. W. Stapelberg and present at the battle of Jakalswater with the Ermelo B Kommando. I believe he may also have served in the Anglo-Boer War, possibly/probably with the same Kommando? I have put his name into search section but getting no results? Any help to point me in the right direction would be very much appreciated.
Many thanks,
CT.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

W.Stapelberg. 3 years 2 months ago #74564

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4519
Welcome CT

There is a man called C W Stapelberg in the Carolina Commando who applied for his ABO: www.angloboerwar.com/forum/surname-s/209...lhelmus-burger#36976

If you contact Rhino Research or Dewald Nel (see Contacts in top menu) they will be able to find the papers for this man. They do charge for this service.

Best wishes
David
Dr David Biggins

W.Stapelberg. 3 years 2 months ago #74565

• cybertyke
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Hello David,
Many thanks for your quick reply!! I was told many years ago by a chap in the SA museum service that there was a listing for a Willem Petrus Stapelburg (spelt with a U) listed with the Ermelo Kommando. He received the Lint Voor Verwonding. Sadly I could get no further with this enquiry at the time and left it there. I was half expecting this name to appear when I did a search. (I am lead to believe that name spelling variations are sometimes found as they were presumably transcribed incorrectly ??)
Many thanks for your help so far.
Chris.

W.Stapelberg. 3 years 2 months ago #74568

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4519
Chris,

That is a definite possibility. We frequently see variation in spelling, Watervaal/Waterval burg/berg, ij/y ...

In the ABO list is a Willem Stapelburg from Ermelo: www.angloboerwar.com/forum/surname-s/209...-petrus-burger#36984
Dr David Biggins

W.Stapelberg. 3 years 2 months ago #74590

• cybertyke
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
David,
Many thanks for that. It confirms the listing as I was originally told, which is great. ...... and as it is so close I'm sure this very likely is the man. With that in mind what other records exist that may be accessible? I presume he does not show up as a POW?
Any suggestions from anyone would be much appreciated!!
Chris

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.403 seconds