• Page:

TOPIC:

Lost Record of Galantry Medal Samuel Massey 3 years 3 months ago #74165

• Daithi02
  • Daithi02's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
I have been research your website. I have a great gran uncle called Samuel Massey from London. I was told by my grandparents he was a recipient of a gallantry medal in the Boer War. Please see the points of what I was told:

He was from London and joined the war as a soldier under age (I fear thiss may be the stumbling block, if he gave a different name).
He had his leg amputated after been shot from his horse, (I was told he volunteered to go over a hill to scout for enemies)
He was award a medal for his actions and it was in the papers

I was hoping you could help me as I am at a dead end at the moment. I have researched so many archives but I can only get 2 S Masseys and one was killed. I searched for amputees or and wounded but found nothing. My Gran Aunt gave the medal away many years ago, when she was not of sound mind, so any records of what his Regiment or Number were are lost at the moment. I am at a loss where to go.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated, I am hoping to get this for my Dad who is 83 and was always extremely proud of this story.

Many Thanks in advance to anyone who can help

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Lost Record of Galantry Medal Samuel Massey 3 years 3 months ago #74170

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4507
Daithi02,

Welcome to the forum.

I have searched for Samuel but have not found anyone who fits the history you have. There were certainly a few S Masseys in the Boer War. 4 are listed on this site bur none of those were wounded or received a gallantry award. If he did serve in the Boer War, he would have been awarded the Queen's Medal.

Some of the local paper are online now so these might be an area to search.

If he did join up under a different name, it will be more difficult to track him down.

Best wishes
David
Dr David Biggins

Lost Record of Galantry Medal Samuel Massey 3 years 3 months ago #74182

• BereniceUK
  • Thank you received: 2297
Daithi02, do you know what the maiden name of Samuel's mother was? If he served under an assumed name, he might have used his mother's original surname.

I did a search for "medal for gallantry, scout," but found no-one who fitted.

Lost Record of Galantry Medal Samuel Massey 2 years 8 months ago #77525

• Daithi02
  • Daithi02's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi David, I joined ancestry.co.uk his mother was alice coleman. Still can't find anything, but not giving up.

Thanks

Daithi

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.330 seconds