Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

IY 91st Coy Cape Colony 1901? 3 years 9 months ago #70391

• Kathy re Coppock
  • Kathy re Coppock's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2
I've tracked down the 91st Coy's engagements in the Orange Free State and Transvaal, but Cape Colony eludes me at present. I've been consulting the Pen and Sword publication Absent-Minded Beggars, Yeomanry and Volunteers in the Boer War by William Bennett, which has proved very useful. I have used my grandfather's clasps (Cape Colony, Orange Free State, Transvaal) as a guide to the engagements of his company of Sharpshooters. I was fortunate to be able to download images of the medal clasp awards records via Ancestry. These show that he was awarded the QSA medal with the Cape Colony and Orange Free State clasps on 21 August 1901 in Smaldeel??? (hard to decipher). The Transvaal and South Africa clasps were awarded two years after the end of the war in London.

Some eight years ago I copied down a list from this website showing in which order the medal clasps were worn and understand that one should read from the bottom upwards. My grandfather's service began when he signed his attestation papers on 6 March 1901, after which he would have been sent to Aldershot for training.

My big question is, when would the 91st IY have been engaged in Cape Colony?
Their engagement in Orange Free State was at Tafel Kop, alongside three squadrons of Damant's Horse, the famous 'Tigers' who had been under Rimington, the 30th (Pembrokeshire) and the 31st (Montgomeryshire) Companies of IY under Lt Col. Damant.
Engagement in Transvaal was at Boschbult, S of Tweebosch, alongside the 30th and 31st IY, mixed with SA colonials, Canadians and British mounted infantry.

Can someone help me with the Cape Colony question please?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

IY 91st Coy Cape Colony 1901? 3 years 9 months ago #70394

• SWB
  • Thank you received: 451
From the casualty rolls, the 91st did not suffer any battle casualties in the Cape Colony. They had two men die from disease at Norvals Pont.

Working out if they saw action in the Cape Colony requires reading many contemporary histories.
Researcher & Collector
The Register of the Anglo-Boer Wars 1899-1902
theangloboerwars.blogspot.co.uk/
www.facebook.com/boerwarregister
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kathy re Coppock

IY 91st Coy Cape Colony 1901? 3 years 9 months ago #70397

• Kathy re Coppock
SWB, are the contemporary histories available at TNA or the IWM? Which archive should be consulted once they open up?

IY 91st Coy Cape Colony 1901? 3 years 9 months ago #70402

• SWB
  • Thank you received: 451
The works I am referrign to you you may find a good library:

Official History of the War in South Africa 1899-1902: Compiled by The Direction of His Majesty's Government. Maurice, Sir Frederick and Grant, Maurice H., Hurst and Blackett Limited, London, 1906 and onwards (four volumes)

The Times History of the War in South Africa, Sampson Low, Marston & Company Limited,London, 1900 and onwards (seven volumes)

Absent Minded Beggars. Yeomanry and Volunteers in the Boer War. Will Bennett. Leo Cooper 1999

With the Flag to Pretoria, Wilson, H.W., Harmsworth Brothers 1901

Be warned the history of the IY is not written in great detail for all IY companies.
Researcher & Collector
The Register of the Anglo-Boer Wars 1899-1902
theangloboerwars.blogspot.co.uk/
www.facebook.com/boerwarregister
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb, Kathy re Coppock

IY 91st Coy Cape Colony 1901? 3 years 9 months ago #70404

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4519
Kathy,

The books Meurig mentions can be accessed from the Books section here in the site.

You can also use the site search which searches the books as well. Entering 91st gives 81 matches, not all for the 91st Co but some definitely.

Dr David Biggins
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kathy re Coppock

IY 91st Coy Cape Colony 1901? 3 years 9 months ago #70405

• Kathy re Coppock
Thank you to both of you. I bought Will Bennett's book as a Google Play book and have found it very helpful, except for the 91st at Cape Colony. Shall try the site search as suggested.

Thanks again.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.527 seconds