Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Balloon Section RE, with Buller - info. wanted. 3 years 10 months ago #69855

• Rob D
  • Rob D's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 762
Dear Forummers
I am looking for information about the observation balloon that was on the upper Tugela with Buller in January / February 1900.
Any suggestions of publications, diaries, or regimental digests would be most welcome indeed!
[Note, I am not researching the balloon in Ladysmith during the siege; nor the balloon which accompanied Methuen on the Modder - but technical descriptions of design, gas supply, etc would be common to all the balloon sections and that info. would be most welcome].
My email address is [email protected]
many thanks!
Rob
The past is not dead. In fact, it's not even past.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Balloon Section RE, with Buller - info. wanted. 3 years 10 months ago #69863

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4508
Hello,

I searched for balloons using the site search (top right) which produced 241 matches. Not all of these will relate to the Buller's balloon but some certainly do. Wilson's With the Flag, Volume 1, chapters 12-14 contain several mentions.

On page 336 of Volume 1 is this interesting picture captioned 'Making gas for war balloons at Slingersfontein'

Can't quite see what they are doing.

A thread was started a long time ago on war balloons but this only contains two images but there is mention of Buller's. www.angloboerwar.com/forum/13-miscellany...ilitary-balloons#346

There's a roll for the men in the section here: www.angloboerwar.com/unit-information/im...eers-balloon-section

And 2 more images here: www.angloboerwar.com/unit-information/im...al-engineers?start=1

You will find this chapter from the Times History of use too: www.angloboerwar.com/images/pdf/TimesHistory06-204.pdf
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rob D

Balloon Section RE, with Buller - info. wanted. 3 years 10 months ago #69895

• Rob D
  • Rob D's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 762
Thanks, that's a good start!
On the march, the balloon sections carried cylinders of hydrogen, and also blocks of zinc and vats of sulphuric acid to make hydrogen in the field. Perhaps that's what's going on in your photo?
Rob
The past is not dead. In fact, it's not even past.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.613 seconds